aux. ps for laptop using SLA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..well kinda Power Supply Design..

Id like to run my Vaio laptop for longer than an hour off-grid and thought an SLA battery would work. Im going to get a car adapter and am not sure what voltage battery to use. The stock AC adapter supplies 19VDC(smps so regulated correct?) yet the car will only supply 13.6 to the car adapter. So will a 12V SLA battery work or should I add a 6V in series for 18V? I dont know if the DC-DC adapter acts as an inverter so that if the cars voltage drops below 12V, it will still supply power.

amt

I believe the laptop needs 12VDC to operate but no vehicle Ive ever owned actually puts out 12VDC at the lighter or aux. power outlets. My Subaru puts out 14.4VDC. Vanagon 13.8.

I would think that the adapter has voltage regulators in it and they usually need an extra few volts to operate - hence my 18VDC question. Maybe not for smps. Dont know.

So will a straight 11-12VDC from a battery operate the adapter?

amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.