• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

planet_10 hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
24-aug-09: my original thread from the Vendor's Bazaar for historical purposes. dave

planet_10_hifi_logo_artX.gif

planet_10 hifi is me doing a little bit to help supply the diy community.

updated: 21_august_2006​

News: The Frugel-Horn project has progressed to the point where we are now putting together the 1st flat-paks for those without the facility to cut the parts themselves. Assembly will not require much more than some glue & packing/masking tape & a screwdriver (plus whatever finish you decide). More information at http://www.planet10-hifi.com/FH-flatpak.html

FH-proto-flatpak-tn.jpg

Most of my trade is currently coming from recycling vintage hifi on eBay -- predominantly speaker drivers, but anything i can find that is interesting -- where i live is a fairly good area for mining old hifi. I keep a running list of what is up & has recently happened at: http://www.planetsofta.com/audiolist.html. Mining for the good stuff also leaves me with a large quantity of speakers & bits (ie tube amp chassis/iron) that i don't put up for auction but are available for sale.

As well as this I am selling some items manufactured (or designed) locally -- wooden phase plugs, select speakers -- so far the CSS drivers, modified Fostex FE126e & FE127e, Visaton B200 (stock & modified), select others , and custom loudspeaker enclosures. This product line is slowly expanding.

FR125-4views-m.jpg

chess-men-1.jpg

For the Fostex FE-103/108. RadioShack 40-1197 and other speakers with about a 19mm voice coil such as the FE103A. A slightly smaller version has been done for the Coral versions of the 103A, for the Radio Shack 40-1354 and Fostex FE166/167 (and other drivers with similar voice coil) and for FE206/207. Most recent addiitons are special plugs for the Visaton B200, Fostex FE108eS, and in prototype for the Fostex FE206esR.

FE206-207-pp.jpg

Standard phase plugs come in black (to match dark cones or contrast light ones) and in Yellow Cedar (to match light cones or contrast dark ones)

The central spot for information is my new planet_10 hifi website, which besides having product information will also have a growing amount of other useful information.

Dave Dlugos
/aka planet10

Note: planet_10 hifi is also the primary sponsor for my hobby hifi-site below

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcavictim said:
Beautiful job on the speaker cabinet that looks like an ohm. Is the second woofer on the back a live driver wired push-push (both woofers wired to push out at the same time)?

Thanx -- Chris does good work (he builds, i design). That particular set reused the AMT-1 woofer & PR... the next set we built was a 2=way and used a push-push pr of Fostex 9" on the bottom.

heil-fostex.jpg

dave

Dave,

You must like the Heil. It sure is a massive slugger. I've never seen one in person or heard it. Does it vent out the back like a dipole or is it front only like a horn? How low can you cross it over?

That second cabinet is absolutely lovely! Beautiful choice of veneer.

I have to wear all the hats at the moment in my speaker and amplifier building factory.

Rob

planet10 said:

Thanx -- Chris does good work (he builds, i design). That particular set reused the AMT-1 woofer & PR... the next set we built was a 2=way and used a push-push pr of Fostex 9" on the bottom.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

I remember last year what i was tehre and these were just in progress. Sweet they look good. : O )

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcavictim said:
You must like the Heil. It sure is a massive slugger. I've never seen one in person or heard it. Does it vent out the back like a dipole or is it front only like a horn? How low can you cross it over?

They are a nice tweeter -- and relatively cheap ($300 or so a pr from ESS as spare parts IB -- we've not actually sourced one that way). This particular Heil is a dipole, there are smaller monopole ones.

XO on these is around 2k (1st order on the 2-ways -- driven by mono Decware ZENs).

dave

I believe I heard the Heil drivers on AMT speakers long ago. How long have they been around? When I heard them, I was blown away by the transparent sound of them. I could hear the pick contacting the guitar string as it was struck. Amazing.
I have never heard anything as clear since. Is there a downside to these speakers? Narrow dispersion?

Thanks from a new member and a relative novice.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PELarson said:
Just did some elementary googling to answer my own questions. Yes, long ago: 1973 was when the Heil drivers were introduced. Where can I acquire some of these drivers?

downside is trying to find something good enuff to keep up... these can be had new as spare parts from ESS in CA (~$300 USD/pr i was told)-- there is also a European licencee, don't know if you can get the driver by itself thou (shipping from CA would be a lot easier to handle as well). And there is always used (off eBay or such)

dave

I just bought a pair of these from ESS for $300 and would like to know some specs. Do you have any sensitivity info or graphs? My plan is to mate them with a pair of woofers from a Klipsch RF-7 that have about 99 db/w/m and built to keep up with a horn mid-tweet. Objective is to build high efficiency speakers without LARGE enclosures or horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.