• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

What drivers to replace FE206E?

Hi All,

About 15 years ago my father and I built a pair of cabinets using FE206E drivers. I'm almost certain these are the design plans, even though the driver listed is FE206EN.

https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE206En.pdf

The drivers have seen better days so I'd like to replace them.

Should I replace them with the Foster FE206E, or are there better options now?

Advice on amplifier choice is welcome as well-I've always wanted to build a tube amp for them but haven't gotten around to it...yet!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is the factory recommended enclosure. The one for FE208 is actually better for the FE206 but neither is first rate.

Fostex has continued recommending this horn thru the evolution of the FE206. If you can find FE206En that will be closest, but the new FE206nv might be better.

The Fostex FExx6 typically like a high Rout amplifier, the SE tube amp being the largest popultion in the set of these kinds of amplifiers. ACA would also be a good (cheap) amp for these. Bridged pair even better.

dave