• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL166 Replacement in Twin EL166 woof-wT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

As I'm running through the Mar-Ken 12 plan set, I see there is a woofer support tower/base for the wide trapezoidal minOnkens. Specs from the 2012 document call out the CSS EL166 driver which doesn't appear to be in production any longer. What would be a suitable replacement for it?

Many thanks,
Chris

Chris,

Maybe send P10 a mail on this?

AFAIK Dave and team had a number of options from multiple manufacturers for woofers/mid-basses to be used in the P10 catalog of FAST or WAW designs.

The Mark Audio Alpair 12PW is not a direct replacement for the EL166, but rather it is a higher bandwidth 6.5" driver, and there are new cabinet designs for it.

Chris,

Maybe send P10 a mail on this?

AFAIK Dave and team had a number of options from multiple manufacturers for woofers/mid-basses to be used in the P10 catalog of FAST or WAW designs.

The Mark Audio Alpair 12PW is not a direct replacement for the EL166, but rather it is a higher bandwidth 6.5" driver, and there are new cabinet designs for it.

Good idea. Wanted to give them a chance to answer here before contacting them directly. Appreciate your feedback.

Bang for buck, the Silver Flute wool fibre cones woofers are worth a look. There’s a particularly interesting 6.5” (W17) is available in 4,& 16ohm versions - a flexibility that could simplify multiple driver applications. If you want about another 10 or so lower Fs in a still compact driver, there’s the 8” W20, available in 4 & 8 ohm versions. I think we used the latter at least a couple of times?

It’d be nice if MA were able to again offer a small mid-woofer with the value and performance of the old EL166, but I think that was a serendipitous circumstance, and moreover, that segment of the DIY speaker marketplace is almost saturated with offerings from folks like Silver Flute, SB, and the various marques from the Tymphany group to name just a few.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.