Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 10th July 2020, 03:17 AM   #11
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member

Bass extension is very adequate. It's musical and detailed. Not quite the umph of the A10P in Mar-Kens, but I certainly don't feel like anything is missing. There is no "shout" at all. The frequency spectrum is beautifully balanced without an overemphasis on any one part of the range. I've heard DX4's in a pair of transmission lines that were definitely tilted toward the treble, but not harshly so. In contrast, the PM6A in Low-Kens are perfectly balanced, to my ears.

I really do wish we lived closer so that you could hear them.

Bass did seem to fill in over a couple hours last night as I listened to jazz and funk (Jimmy Smith, Medesky Martin & Wood, Miles Davis) as well as contemporary rock/electronic (Atlas Sound, Grizzly Bear, Beach House). As of right now the Lowthers don't even have three hours on them, though.

I'd guess they're strong down to 55Hz but I haven't measured. Maybe it's time to break out the measuring microphone I ordered years ago but have never set up. Any suggestions on how to take measurements in-room would be most welcome. My instinct is to put the mic at the listening position to measure real-world frequency response, but maybe there other suggestions?

Jeff

Last edited by jdrouin; 10th July 2020 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10th July 2020, 03:23 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lowther PM6A xFonken?
Quote:
I'd guess they're strong down to 55Hz
That is close to what the sims suggest.

dave
Old 15th July 2020, 01:37 AM   #13
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lowther PM6A xFonken?
very interesting, this silver coil PM6A is the (only) one Lowther driver I would consider trying and my curiosity about this legendary driver goes back many years, before I was DIY savvy. Don’t see them here much due to their price so hard to see a consensus opinion developing. I remember the late Sakuma-san liked his Lowther drivers too, even had one mounted in a beer keg if I remember correctly, said it was the tone he had been searching for.

Since I have the A10.3Ms and access to a friends A10Ps your comparison with the A10p is relevant and lends some context to your impressions of this Lowther. I might yet grab a pair, perhaps even consider a FAST version; it’s fun to consider new projects.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 15th July 2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 25th July 2020, 09:00 PM   #14
needtubes is offline needtubes  United States
diyAudio Member

The 8-ohm silver coil PM7a also has a decent looking response curve. Might it be suited to a Fonken-style enclosure as well?
Old 30th July 2020, 08:11 PM   #15
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm guessing the Qts on both flavors of PM7A might be low, but maybe Dave has insight?
Old 30th July 2020, 09:30 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lowther PM6A xFonken?
Just got access to my modeling machine. PM7a silver is not near as suitable as a miniOnken candidate as Jeff’s PM6A Silver.

F10 70 Hz vrs 40 Hz, box size 12l vrs 30. Would be suitable if you were adding woofers.

ie bass response on par with FF85wk or Alpair 5.2/3.

dave
Old 30th July 2020, 11:15 PM   #17
needtubes is offline needtubes  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dave. Sounds like the PM6a is the winner.
Old 31st July 2020, 12:02 AM   #18
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lowther PM6A xFonken?
why do they even offer the PM7a, what does it achieve that the PM6a can not other than offering a 1.9T magnet vs a 1.8T ?

I’ve also seen a PM8a for sale from outside of the UK but there’s no mention of it on the UK website. I feel I’m not understanding something about the ‘A’ Series.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 31st July 2020, 12:21 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lowther PM6A xFonken?
The PM6A slver was a surprise. I am very pleased Jeff went ahead with this. The plans are available for others now. email me if interested.

dave

Lowther PM6A xFonken?Hide this!Advertise here!