Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 03:14 PM   #11
opa1 is offline opa1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
opa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
Thanks, opa1. What will you be using for stands? I.e. how high above the floor do you plan to keep them?
I'm still working on placement. The room I have them in now is a bit more challenging as far as placement goes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:15 PM   #12
opa1 is offline opa1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
opa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
Some pics as we loaded them up in his truck:
Thanks for posting the pic's and all the help!
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:17 PM   #13
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denmark
10p Monitors?
Handsome looking boxes, well done!
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:18 PM   #14
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Marcos, Texas
10p Monitors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by opa1 View Post
Thanks for posting the pic's and all the help!
Happy to help, it was a fun build for sure!
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:35 PM   #15
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tulsa, OK
Yes, nice looking build. Looks like they're made of baltic birch plywood? What did you end up doing for the finish?


My pair of CGRs is in baltic birch ply. I'm planning to finish with Watco Golden Oak Danish oil and a coat of satin polyurethane. Need to figure out how to get the color to absorb more evenly, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:43 PM   #16
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Marcos, Texas
10p Monitors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
Yes, nice looking build. Looks like they're made of baltic birch plywood? What did you end up doing for the finish?


My pair of CGRs is in baltic birch ply. I'm planning to finish with Watco Golden Oak Danish oil and a coat of satin polyurethane. Need to figure out how to get the color to absorb more evenly, though.
We used watco danish oil, natural. Sanded them 220,320,400, then applied the oil, 3-4 coats, then wiped before they go tacky. A few days later I rubbed them a bit with soft cloth, then added a few more light coats, again wiped before they go tacky.

Adding poly will make them more durable, if that's needed where you are going to use them. Give the danish oil plenty of time to cure before the poly and I bet it will look great.

I've noticed baltic birch takes finish well after the sanding process I outlined. I will say the first coat or two gets absorbed quickly. I try to flush the surfaces with oil as quickly as I can, keep it wet for the first 15-30 minutes, depending on weather, and it will usually take pretty evenly.

Sometimes I'll even do a coat or two of finish before I make my final cuts and assembly. It can be easier to get them quickly coated and even initially this way. I let them cure for a day or so, then make the cuts and assemble. Just be careful to not get finish on glue edges, or ensure you sand it off well.

This can help face veneer tear-out as well, which baltic birch can tend to do, especially with cross cuts.

Cheers,
Gable
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 03:53 PM   #17
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tulsa, OK
Cool thanks! For a pair of Woden Shrike, my process was to sand with 80, 120, raise the grain, 220, rub on the Danish oil (Golden Oak), let cure for 24 hours, sand with 400, another coat of oil, let cure for 3 days, then apply the polyurethane.



They look fine from the listening position, which is about 8 feet away. But up close, some surfaces look nice and even while others are uneven or show streaks of the yellow coloring in the wood grain (almost like mac and cheese). I don't have pics on this computer else I'd show you.


Anyway, your process starts with a much finer grit, so I'll try that on scrap. Thanks for detailing it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 04:00 PM   #18
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Marcos, Texas
10p Monitors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
Cool thanks! For a pair of Woden Shrike, my process was to sand with 80, 120, raise the grain, 220, rub on the Danish oil (Golden Oak), let cure for 24 hours, sand with 400, another coat of oil, let cure for 3 days, then apply the polyurethane.



They look fine from the listening position, which is about 8 feet away. But up close, some surfaces look nice and even while others are uneven or show streaks of the yellow coloring in the wood grain (almost like mac and cheese). I don't have pics on this computer else I'd show you.


Anyway, your process starts with a much finer grit, so I'll try that on scrap. Thanks for detailing it.
I always start with 120 initially, but in 'finish' stage I start w/ 220. Usually the 220, 320, and 400 sanding passes are slow and with very very little pressure, just trying to clean them up that last little bit.

Sometimes I skip the 320, as it's not always needed. 220 is pretty fine to begin with. The 400 after curing is a great idea, I'll do that too with the sandpaper on a big block and just lightly skim the finish flat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 04:03 PM   #19
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tulsa, OK
Gotcha. Do you ever raise the grain?


After 400 the finish is glass-smooth. It's always fun to see how the texture of the wood changes so much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 04:09 PM   #20
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Marcos, Texas
10p Monitors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
Gotcha. Do you ever raise the grain?


After 400 the finish is glass-smooth. It's always fun to see how the texture of the wood changes so much.
I've not tried that. I wonder what difference it makes for a danish oil finish?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


10p Monitors?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY passive studio monitors + amp, mod cheap monitors? jdominicjackson Full Range 11 11th June 2014 05:29 AM
WTB: NHT M60 monitors spurzheim Swap Meet 4 28th October 2010 01:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki