• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

10p Monitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've not not-tried it. I always rubbed in some water after sanding with 120, let it dry thoroughly, and then continued with 220. That's the processed advised by my wife's uncle, an experienced carpenter, who says the oil can raise the grain when it absorbs into the wood, which you don't want after sanding down with fine grit. It can lead to uneven absorption as well as sub-optimal smoothness in the end, so it's better to raise the grain before the fine-grit sanding stages. I read some other advice online that said to sand to 120, raise the grain, sand at 120 again, and then proceed to 220 and finer.

Anyway, I don't want to thread-jack anymore, so I'll try it on scrap with and without raising, and report later.

Well, I've not not-tried it. I always rubbed in some water after sanding with 120, let it dry thoroughly, and then continued with 220. That's the processed advised by my wife's uncle, an experienced carpenter, who says the oil can raise the grain when it absorbs into the wood, which you don't want after sanding down with fine grit. It can lead to uneven absorption as well as sub-optimal smoothness in the end, so it's better to raise the grain before the fine-grit sanding stages. I read some other advice online that said to sand to 120, raise the grain, sand at 120 again, and then proceed to 220 and finer.

Anyway, I don't want to thread-jack anymore, so I'll try it on scrap with and without raising, and report later.

I'll have to try that, certainly worth a test on scrap.

Thank you for the insights.

Cheers,
Gable

Update:
I've had the CGR's running for four months now. Using the Aleph J, Topping D30,SYS passive pre and Tidal. This is a great combo. I had been on a audio upgrade for years. I don't feel the need to improve now. The CGR enclosures and the 10P drivers perform really well.

Do you have an idea of their frequency response?
And does somebody knows how they would compare to a CGR with Alpair 12p? (Frequency, efficiency & Soundwise)

I'm looking for a FR bass reflex pair in a small room (3 &3 m) to be driven from an old B&O 610 hybride tube amp (2 & 8 Watt). This looks like a very nice option, one I might be able to realize myself. ��

This is my very first post on the forum, my apologises if I intruded in somebody elses topic ...

WoVe,

From my experience, the Alpair 12P does better in a bigger box like the Super Pensil 12P. For a medium sized bass reflex cabinet in room size similar to your's, the Alpair 10P is a decent performer; again it will have better bass in a larger cabinet like the Pensil or FH-XL, but a 15-16 liter bass reflex works nicely too.

What type of music would you mostly be listening to?

I'm mostly listening to classical and jazz music, occasionally to other music too. "Classical" as in choir, orchestra, chamber music, solo instruments (in oartucular pipe organ). Usually at low to moderate sound levels and from rather close to the speakers (around 3 m). No need for thumping bass, but lower extension would be nice.

First I was looking at the FH-familly and the pensils, but thought as it's a small room, saving some space would be better.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you have an idea of their frequency response?
And does somebody knows how they would compare to a CGR with Alpair 12p? (Frequency, efficiency & Soundwise)

A10p goes higher.lower, and has better DDR (detail reproduction). It is a little less than a dB less efficient and cannot move as much air (so can’t play as loud and can be less dynamic). I prefer the A12pw as a FR over the A12p. And as Zia says, A12p really isn’t at its best unless in a BIG box.

Bass extension will depend somewhat on you amp and how much room gain… without aid by those — in 17 litre Mar-Ken10p — est F6 below 50 Hz, F10 just above 40. The top on the A10p is what i call vintage (A6p/10p/12p all do this very well).

dave

Update:
I've had the CGR's running for four months now. Using the Aleph J, Topping D30,SYS passive pre and Tidal. This is a great combo. I had been on a audio upgrade for years. I don't feel the need to improve now. The CGR enclosures and the 10P drivers perform really well.

Hi, I’d be interested to hear more about the comparison between the CGR and the pencil in terms of bass, imaging, overall feel etc. as you are the only person I know has used both enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.