• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Just too much stuff, almost giving it away, part 4

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Time to start this over again. I will start with a list of boxes i need to sell. Some are too large to ship, come by the shop for some serious bargains.

I will slowly add pictures (& prices) — i will add a link to the post when i post pictures.… often when someone asks i expect:

Note that since i have to move by Nov 1, all the prices on the excess speakers will now be in CAD not USD. That means something like a 25% discount.

(updated 04-november-2019)

Demo/Used speakers:
Girrafe w A5.2eN $450 CAD
Tysen v2 2 xFF85wKeN, 4 xSF W14-4, passive XOs
Mar-Kel70 CFS w EL70eN $600 CAD
wT woofT w 4x EL166
FH3 for FE126, grills, outriggers, drivers can be provided
FE126 miniOnken Centre w FE126eN2 for above $400 CAD
Sold: Falcon Woden Labinynth w FF105wKeN $350 CAD
Stinger Woden Labinynth w A6.2PeN$350 CAD
Mar-Ken10pwTT proto w A10PeN (matching drivers) )post #29)
Sold: Mar-Ken 10T smaller trapezoid for A10.3/10p, unpopulated, 18mm BB w cherry veneer $500 CAD
Gone: Compact FloorStander w Mar-Ken10p $700 CAD
Gone: Brynn w Hemp Acoustics FR4.5CeN — free but you have to come pick them up uFonken FF85wKeN w uFonken SET woofT w 4x Peerless 830870eN $800 CAD
Aiko w FE108e∑eN (post #31) $500 CAD, need to be picked up
FH3 with supraBaffle A7.3eN
Castle microTower w 4 x EL70eN $700 CAD
Thirlmere R, unfinished baltic birch $125 CAD, i can supply CHBW70eN got these.
2 pair (1 pr gone) Sound Hounds DIVA, $175 CAD/prwall mounted 2-way with 6.5” Audax woofer & time aligned Audax 1” dome. $175 pr CAD (i currently do not have the original grills, but have black doubleknit for one and am working on the others. Come with brand new, in the plastic bad, oak frames.

Drivers (more to come)
Pr TB W4-1879 $50 CAD, not well matched
Pr Pluvia 11eN $150 CAD
Pr EL70eN (surprise find, i have to check them out) Mismatched. And EL70eN and an EL70eN2.
4 pr CHBW70eN $100 CAD/pr, this is the bass driver Scott uses in his Jenna 2-way (4xCHBW + dome)
5 Fountek FR88es $100 USD/$130 CAD
2 CSS WR125STeN
Sold: 8 CSS WR125ST
Remaining flat-paks (prs)
1 x uFonken (FF85wk)
1 x uFonken Plus (FF85wk)
2 x uMar-Ken (A5.2) baltic birch
2 x uMar-Ken (A5.2) Murphy Ply with maple face veneers
Gone: FH3 FP (FE126e/FF126En/FF125wk)
1 x Lance (FF85wk)

1 x BloodHound — assembled, unfinished plywood, at flat-pak price / gone
1 x FH-Lite (same, built but at flat-pak price)

dave

Dave,

I'm not up for a project right now, but could really use a pair of smallish bookshelf speakers for my office. I'm good with Fostex, but perhaps am even more so intrigued this time for Alpair drivers. What would you suggest?

PS the twin Fonken project you provided the drivers and plans for is delayed indefinitely by nagging wrist issues. I wish they had been ready for Burning Amp. Maybe next year...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The original uFonken was inspired by Terry Crabbe’s comment about designing something as small as comercial example he had on hand.

We already had mSize boxes. I went thru the Fostex line and chose the FF85k because an optimum miniOnken was only 2 litre internal. So we ordered a pair to try out. First thing we put it into an OB and listened to it like that. We were worried about how we could possibly sell treated pais for $160 USD. We were soon not so worried… they had a top up to what some equally priced domes did. The original FF85k uFonken was outstanding.

Then Fostex discontinued them. With no word of replacement. We tried Fountek FR88ex to replace it. It was not as good, and then it doubled in price when neo skyrocketed.

Maybe a year after the FF85k was discontinued, Fostex brought out the FFxx5wk line. Generlly much easier to box than the earlier line (the larger of which mimiced the FExx6e line). The FF85 lost its fancy/brilliant surround design which had us worried at 1st. But it turned out that placed in the original uFonken — with very minor vent change) was a step up almost everywhere. And it was actually optimum in a 2.5 litre box — this led to the uFonkenSET (Special Edition Trapezoid). It is one of the speaker designs i am most proud of. The extra volume extended the bottom ~10 Hz.

cedar-uFonkenSET-chris.jpg

But the trapezoids are a bitch to make*… all those angles, and not enuff room for clamps. So the rectangular, fairly easy to build uFonkenPlus. Also versions with sloped baffles to better aim them when sitting on the desk.

And wooferStands for all 3 to turn them into 1st class WAWs. note: the pictured is one of the sets of speakers for sale.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

*(but with a large enuff 3D printer…)

And it turned out that the same boxes — with tweaked tuning — were perfect for the then new Alpair 5.2. And it looks like the Faital Pro 3F22 (i still have to order some, i have the boxes). So all the 2.5 litre boxes exist as well for the A5.2.

Direct comparisons have been inconclusive but i have the feeling that the Alpair is a bit smoother. It also has a slight (2-3Hz) in the bass. We really like it.

The microSize boxes are really quite small (ie our stands have a platform for the speaker that ends up sticking out). With a 24” iMac.

microFonken.jpg

Many can live with a bigger box, and the wide range of milliSize boxes gives lots of choice. My personal favorite is the Alpair 6.2p. It is stil fairly small. Perhaps Jeff could post a picture of his mMar-Ken6.2PeN?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any opinion on which in the list is “the best”?

Barring Chris’ (important) points, a set that didn’t make the list till now.

The Alpair 12pWeN/A7.3eN MTMs (with external passive XOs & grills). $4k. You have to come get them.

A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg

But as i showed by recently swapping in uMar-Ken6 with A6.2MeN, any of the metal cone Alpair based boxes will sound the “same” but won’t go as low or play as loud.

dave