• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 12PW Recommended Enclosures

I have not measured these 2 drivers. The few A12p i had were long gone by the time i got any A12pw.

Personally i do prefer the A12pw as a FR over the A12p. It gets far to little love.

dave

In a 7.5ft3 Onken style cabinet, I loved my two way combo of each with a 12P, and a Trace Elliot by Celestion 15” woofer ( I don’t recall the driver #). With a simple 47uF cap on the 12P, and a 12mH inductor on the Trace Elliot, it was great with solid state A or AB, and especially so with a 7 watt SET 300B integrated.
I may do it again. Not super deep, but more than enough, and freaking POWERFUL sounding. The woofer is 98db/ watt.

Yup, that one. I followed guidance from Stefan at KJFaudio for the lining and stuffing. Not sure what the helmholz function is but the vent has been useful when trying to pick up the boxes...!
I want to compare them to my rather expensive (bought) speakers at some stage soon..
Any update, or listening impressions, and comparison's? I'm interested in building a set of these, or something similar.

This one? http://wodendesign.com/downloads/simple-2way-A7pA12pw.pdf

In a BR you line the walls (or at least 3) so as to try to reduce higher frequency reflections. Too much damping screws up the helmholz function of the vent.

dave
Dave, are there any alternative WAW plans available using the 12pw and 7p that have a developed passive crossover? I don't have the option of biamping and no DSP at the moment.

Quattrofish build looks very interesting. Would these be considered a massive step up from the free "simple" bass reflex plans?

Alpair 7.3eN/12pw WAW build

Do you alreasy have A7p. Dan built the big A12pw MTM with the passive and the A7p. He is happy.

Nanosaurus has some suggested XOs to go with a range of MA midTweeters, none of those A7p. But it could be.

We have also started scheming on a big twin A12pw with A7ms (A7.2/A7HD, A7p i guess).

dave
Don't have the 7p yet. Just noticed they were on sale and thought about picking up a pair.

That's actually when I saw the .PDF for the "simple" WAW design. After doing a little Google it led me to the Quattrofish thread.

I just read through most of the MTM build thread, pretty interesting.

I have some new ones i am clearing out. What are they flogging them for?

Given what you would pay for 2 or 4 A12pw is the difference to A7ms/P7HD significant.

dave
The 7p is on sale $59, 12pw is normal price $135.

I've been looking at diy options in the $400 - $500 range, not including cabinet materials.

This pricing puts the 7p + 12pw combo coming in a little under my intended budget. But I'm open to any other suggestions or ideas that don't require designing enclosures or crossovers myself, or biamping with DSP.

I've been looking at plans and kits for a few months now and I'm ready to pull the trigger on something.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Probably not worth the extra shipping, but i was thinking $100 USD/pr for the few i have left, so Mad’s pricing suggested that is good. Mine will all at least be partally matched, closer together than a random pair.

A7p isn’t bad, it does take an inordinate amount of break-in. I put extra idle time on the ones i have so are part way there.

Go for it.

dave

Any update, or listening impressions, and comparison's? I'm interested in building a set of these, or something similar.

Sorry for the very slow reply - covid got me, still has me as the recovery has been very slow. Summoning the energy to write anything is still a major effort.
OK, Compared to my Frugel-Horn XLs they are way better - bigger, more punchy and they look nice.
However, compared to my Graham Audio LS6f's which cost £3300 UK, they are still good, but not as good. The LS6f's are easier to listen to, and sound fuller.
If you were closer I'd sell you mine along with the crossover I had built !

simplesteve,

Sorry to hear about your hardship with COVID19. Wish you continued recovery and return to full strength quickly.

Thanks for sharing your impressions with the 3 different sets of speakers. Checked out the Graham Audio LS6F on the manufacturer's website - they are elegant looking speakers.

Get well soon!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Usually one will use an aperiodic box to lower the box Q of a smaller than optimum sealed box.

So first pass would be a "small” box.

A122pw-sealed.gif

The sim suggests something on the order of 10 litres or less.

dave

Do you alreasy have A7p. Dan built the big A12pw MTM with the passive and the A7p. He is happy.

Nanosaurus has some suggested XOs to go with a range of MA midTweeters, none of those A7p. But it could be.

We have also started scheming on a big twin A12pw with A7ms (A7.2/A7HD, A7p i guess).

dave

Dave, in the interest of my never-ending persuit of projects, and discovery that the Alpair 7P is NLA - did the A12PW + A7MS project find enough relevance to progress since last year? I do love the the 7MS, and have wondered about pairing it with a 12PW.

This would be very cool... I am also curious as to whether this would be an MTM ML-TL, or MT like the Nanotyrannus WAW...

I have some A7p (i am pretty sure).

A7ms is certainly a first rate candidate for midTweeter. Maybe oush XO up to 300Hz.

dave

Thanks Dave, depending on where I am placed financially for my next project, I will get back to you on the 7Ps.

Can I ask, does this speaker utilise the 12P(W) drivers? I haven't stumbled across plans for them yet, but a BIG speaker is what I'd like to do next.

Attachments

• A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg
    A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 70