• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 12PW Recommended Enclosures

The photo doesn't quite do justice to the physical impression these - or any of Bernie's solid wood builds- make in the flesh. I've built my fair share of the 'trapezoid' designs, and don't even want to think about the time involved in these.

When I last heard them, I can't remember exactly which tweeter he was using, as I was most impressed by the LF performance - which really shouldn't have been much of a surprise, as I have a pair of MTMs with dual 12PW per side .

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The photo doesn't quite do justice to the physical impression these...

This picture, at least, has more context to judge the size, and shows the custom standmount version Bernie built in solid wood. His solid wood creations are works of art as well as good speakers.

MK12pwxwT-SM.jpg

dave

So which planset would the 12PW and 5.2 combo be in. I currently have the Alpair 10.3 planset. I plan to make some Onkens with the 10.3's.

If I plan to make a surround system and have the 12PW/5.2's as the front L/R, and the A10s as surrounds, what would work as a center speaker?

I like the look of the solid wood speakers, any special things to know about the construction with regards to wood movement?

The A12pw is a wide range and starts to fade above 10k. Still very listenable as a full-range. And a very nice one. I like it better than the A12p.
dave

@Dave

Did you measure 12p vs. 12pw in comparison ?

For some reason i looked up both drivers at the manufacturer's site yesterday, and it seemed to me, that the 12pw might be more balanced (from manufacturer's measurements). Of course it "fades" above 10K, but still might be used as FR in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have been using my 12pw as full range drivers using my ACA 1.1 monoblocks. It is good to listen to as a full range driver. Going to try it as a two way with either a A5.3 or an Eikona 2 once I finish my 4 channel Mod 86 amp and DLCP build. Like the low end I am getting from the A12pw in the Woden folded MLTL.

I have been listening to the 12Pw as a full range driver. It sound pretty good. I think it needs some upper end frequency. I may even be tempted to see how it works with a super tweeter as compared to as a WAW crossed over to another full range driver in the 200 to 400 Hz range.

Sorry, I've not been online much for the last couple of weeks, a lot of stuff going on here, not much of it good.
Anyway, my speakers are now in use, running in and sounding very good.
I still need to sit down for a proper listen before I try adjusting the stuffing ( I still don't really understand what difference it makes having more out less) and then I'll be taking them back into the garage so that I can veneer and seal them, then take a few pictures.
The best thing is that my wife has said that they look good as well as sound good. That's rare praise.
Promise I'll post pictures soon, as long as I can work out how!