• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Let's help Ruth and Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon, an interesting choice for a man recuperating from open chest surgery.

What am I talking about, it definitely sounds like the old Dave is back

That will be Turkish in those mugs, Cal; mr D always had a low threshold for ethanol - or at least kept his in mind - something others of us could emulate.

To say Dave has been missed around here would win an understatement prize of some sort. Over the years he carried on beyond the threshold that many of us balked at crossing, and if bacon works for him then he and I have something in common, whether or not it is "good" for us. Old guys with infirmities will have our comforts, dammit!

Re ethanol: to each his own. Toasting already scorched lungs is off my option list, and I live in Beervana!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I overcooked the bacon…

Thanx guys. The generosity brought tears to my eyes.

I still have a long ways to go, but i have come a long way from flat on my back hallucinating fantasy worlds to live in.

By all accounts my rehab at the hospital was very quick, and i hope that will continue, early estimates were 18-24 months for close to full recovery of my left leg (the cut heel to groin left the lower left leg more or less useless).

Chris is right, i will really need to watch how far "i reach” so as to avoid a mishap. I am able to manage the stairs and every time i do them i will get stronger.

Chris is just now installing grab bars to make life easier.

dave

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I overcooked the bacon…

Good for you anyway. It may have been "open heart" but it wasn't clogged arteries, it was leaks leading to infection. Bacon may be good for healing that.

I once had a slightly similar gut infection. Yes, getting home is the best way to heal. The first weeks I was just glad to be alive. The next month I was full of energy, or thought I was. This feeling tapered, healing slowed. Be aware of that and just do what you can. One thing I have learned (especially in my current crisis) is that over-doing things can cause set-back.

When energy fades, take a nap.

Get out and walk as you can. On a walker is fine: friends know why and who-cares what strangers think. Walk even a little: last year this time I struggled to do a lap of the first floor, 100'/30m, a couple/three times a day. That probably did not help my nerve-pinch, but keeps the rest of the body from going stiff/slack.

Jeff - you may need to deliver that, along with a freshly baked pie.

PRR - aside from the front stairs that still remain very tiresome to navigate, the driveway and yard is not particularly ADA friendly, so his perambulations will be constrained to the front deck and great-room for some time yet. Thanks to the collapse of north side deck after the avalanche of very wet snow from the last late storm, laps aren't possible, even if he could traverse the irregular surfaces.

I know I've said this before, but while words are insufficient to express the gratitude Ruth and Dave have for the outpouring of emotional support and the financial donations from the GFM appeal, his release date and the extent of recovery upon arriving back home were so uncertain that planning of suitable renovations had to wait until literally the eleventh hour.

Now, if anyone cares to volunteer to grade and pave 500ft (?) of bumpy pothole ridden dirt driveway - to which many forum members who've attended any of the 13 DIY fests can attest - and install an elevator, then those walks could be much longer.

Well I am glad my friend is back to the land of the living. We were all very worried about you. Good for you, as has been said by others, you are a determined person that has not finished things here on earth just yet. I am super glad you are on the mend. I am looking forward to seeing you soon.
Be patient and strong my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.