• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Let's help Ruth and Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this thread and Go Fund Me campaign. Dave and Ruth have always welcomed me with open arms. I figured I'd pitch in. Thanks for getting the collection going.

I was going to write "best wishes for a speedy recovery" but I think the 'speedy' part is sorta out at this point. These things seem to take a while. I hope Dave recovers well.

Tom

Just made a donation and I would like to thank all who have supported this and those who have helped with their time and talents. I have never dealt with Dave but realize that he has made a huge contribution to the audio community and we now have an opportunity to give back.

Drum roll please.

Dave will be taken home tomorrow for some trial runs. They have to sort out what might be needed for his future should they be able to stay in their house. As Chris mentions, there's stairs to deal with and other obstacles so it's not time to come home yet. Let's hope this visit does his insides good and helps the recovery. As we all know, there's no place like home and maybe this visit will add extra encouragement.

Cal ; mahalo nui loa - yes it was all of what you said

The helicopter tour of West Maui Hills and Molokai was probably the highlight - Maui is not called the Valley Island without reason - then an almost perfectly clear, but chilly mid morning walkabout on Haleakala - just in time to beat most of the mid-day tourist rush. Did you know there are crazy guys who ride their racing bikes up that hill? They gotta be slightly winded at 10,000 feet.

Then we get to come back to this corner of paradise - well, at least our late summers are nice -ish.

I have a feeling the battery charge will last only a few more days.

Well, still have Bermuda to look forward to in late May.

FWIW, latest news from Ruth is that hospital wants to release Dave into the wild this coming Tuesday. So after almost 5 months in the hospital, the past 5 or 6 weeks in limbo as to release date and degree of recovery, and just how much reno may need to be done to suit his "new normal", it's crunch time kiddies.

I'd not be surprised if he wears out a keyboard or two in the first couple of weeks back.

FWIW, latest news from Ruth is that hospital wants to release Dave into the wild this coming Tuesday. So after almost 5 months in the hospital, the past 5 or 6 weeks in limbo as to release date and degree of recovery, and just how much reno may need to be done to suit his "new normal", it's crunch time kiddies.

He must be able to negotiate the stairs then (with help).

jeff

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal & Chris,
They may have to figure out how to make him able to live on one floor.

I know you're a pro ramp builder for your infirm friends, so you know a 1:12 ramp is pretty much impossible to get to another floor. However the entrance may well need a shorter ramp..

The laundry area, with hot and cold water, drain, and 220v power or a gas line gives you connections for a stove, sink with drain.... so a kitchen. Maybe the existing laundry area can supply some of that in case the kitchen is on a non- grade level. or they can convert the living or dining room to a bedroom (duh!), mostly depending on where the baths are....um the BIG baths. Even then it might require a wider door that opens outward and some handrails. Sounds like where they live life is pretty informal so that gives options!

Dave's experience at home was good and uh...

More to come when I have time to talk with Ruth.

Last edited:
I wager once he see's home again and settles in, recovery will advance 10 fold. And where it may seem the best right now could their home have been a one floor ranch style (we're all getting on in years) A good challenge with a few stairs and something to achieve in familiar surroundings, could be the best way for him to advance forward some. Blessings!

DaveCan - I'd like to share your optimism

Cal - yuppers - home as of 11:30 this morning. Last word from Ruth was he's finding it hard to adjust to the reality of the changes he authorized during the first several weeks of his absence, and which took hundreds of hours of labour to attain.

Just talked to the man himself. I had to tug him away from his bacon but he was pretty good about it.
His voice is just like the old Dave so there's no doubt now, it's just a matter of working on the mobility. I hear that he is even negotiating stairs, a few at a time mind you but so far so good.
Cheers Dave, welcome home. Get well really soon because you wouldn't believe how long the honey-do list is when you decide to vacation in your local hospital like that.
Double cheers buddy. :cheers: :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.