• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Opinions requested to help me select the best horn/fullrange drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Arguably, the treatment of the perimeter edges would have more acoustic impact than such an overhang - but I think it would require a substantial radius - well over a couple of inches - to effect a significant sonic benefit. One only need visit any of the few remaining "audio salons" to see the wide range of designs with varying degrees of attention paid to details such as edge and recessed front panel diffraction - in many cases on higher end speaker enclosures selling in the 10s of thousands of dollars range.

In other words, - it probably couldn't hurt?

Final Conclusions to a Successful project

I started following diyAudio 6 yrs ago when I began to plan my own speaker build to satisfy my high personal expectations at a price I could live with. I was going down the single driver and no x-over road but with guidance I chose a different path.

chrisb stepped up to guide me and with his expert help I've exceeded all those "high personal expectations". Good things take time and 2 years after starting the build and 4+ years of planning I'm finally finished. Sorry, no build pictures just the final results and comments.

To me they look great and sound many times better. At a budget I could easily live with(many thousands of $ below the retail products I've shopped) The clarity and imagery often convinces me that someone else is in the room. Solid cherry, 7/8" thick outside, 2 Mark Audio EL166 as woofers, Alpair A7.3 driver, enclosure and x-over designs by chrisb, steel speaker spikes.

Thank You Chris! Your a saint.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 144
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 145
Dave, those turned out gorgeous, and I’ve got pretty good idea as to how they sound as well. Those EL166 were one of the best bang for the buck drivers I’ve ever had the luck to run across. While I can’t remember exactly where the XO design you employed originated from, it almost certainly was someone else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.