Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 7th January 2017, 05:35 PM   #31
davesbimmer is offline davesbimmer  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks, gentlemen. A FAST 2way based on the A7.3 with a budget under $1k Canadian is where I want to go. Floor standing big box. We can move, start over anywhere. All very interesting to me.

There once was a recreational soccer team in Saskatoon where the requirement was to have a surname of "David". They had 20 on there roster. Way to many Daves.
Old 8th January 2017, 04:07 PM   #32
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

What do you call "big box"? Bozak Concert Grands were OK in my listening room. Hardly big compared to some systems.
Old 8th January 2017, 06:09 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I was always envious of those with the older Klipsch horns, which are smaller than the Bozaks. But, that is too much floor space and are for much larger room volumes than I live with. 6 Ft max height and under 24" square floor space. That leaves many options, but want to make something larger than a Frugel-Horn Mk3.

My "big box" reference is to build bigger than many of modern bookshelf type that do occupy many of the diy discussions here.
Old 9th January 2017, 01:28 AM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Re size, the dimensions of the Alpair MTM as discussed above are 405x290x1220mm = approx 16x11.5x48". While that's both much wider and taller than either the FH3 or FHXL, that's also a much shallower footprint, and they don't require the same space behind as any type of rear mouth exit back loaded horn I've ever built. So these aren't tiny bookshelf units, but certainly not the same size as a K-Horn, nor requiring the same real estate as an open baffle, or large dipole planar of any flavour -i.e. ESL or magnetic .

Attached are photos of the earlier build of the same configuration described above, using the much less expensive CSS EL166 / Mark Audio Woofer6 and Fostex FF85WK. I don't have the exact dimensions at hand, but as best as I can recall, they where close to the same size as the Alpairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.JPG (483.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0104.JPG (493.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 9th January 2017, 01:40 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Well within my expectations. I have more more room and wood working ability. My listening is modified by by likeness for wood. Everyone is different.....

So I could live with a small box expanded on the outside with dead space... just for style
Old 13th January 2017, 02:24 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well Chris is moving me along nicely.

I have a question about construction material. My intention was to make all the visible wooden pieces from solid maple. Most people use MDF and finish with veneer. MDF is dense but Maple and other typical furniture construction wood are close if properly assemble.

Will I be disappointed with the sonic results using solid maple?
Old 13th January 2017, 03:04 AM   #37
hobbers is offline hobbers  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've built several enclosures from solid wood and have yet to be disappointed with there sound. If it's what you're interested in and you have the knowledge, I say go for it.
Old 13th January 2017, 03:23 AM   #38
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Dave - as large a piece as I think you're now considering would be a challenge in solid wood, and something I've not mentioned yet - having assumed that my opinion on the subject was well known - is that I'd strongly recommend against MDF for such a build. Baltic birch plywood - under any of the numerous local trade names would be my suggestion.

As with all construction materials, distribution / availability of brands will vary nationwide , and the big box stores cannot be relied upon for quality sheet goods. One of the few Cdn chains that carries or can order in the good stuff is Windsor Plywood, and you've got a branch in Regina. The product comes in a range if thicknesses from 3mm - 25mm, and in that oddball European size of 5x5ft - so your cutting plans need to take that into account. Also noteworthy is that the quality of face veneers is a bit of a gamble - dare I say "Russian roulette"? , so while it can take a clear top coat nicely, it accepts stains very poorly, and as is generally sold in a Canada as a Shop grade, may be subject to very noticeable patches and smaller unmatched pinhole knots. None of those aesthetic defects affect structural integrity, but can be magnified by finishing.

Baltic Birch Plywood | Windsor Plywood

Another Canadian distributor with branch in your hometown is
Regina | McKillican

Achieving the degree of finish as seen on the two builds I'd posted photos of can easily run into $500 - $600, or more for materials for the enclosures alone - depending of course on species of veneer selected. There are 2 4x8ft sheets of quarter cut Sapele on the Alpair MTMs, at wholesale cost of $300 each, while the more " pedestrian" Cherry or Black Walnut range from $80 -$100 per sheet.
But when you calculate the time and materials to get a half way decent paint finish on a pair of enclosures this size, the veneer staters looking almost economical.

PS - Bernie, he's currently contemplating boxes approx the same size as the big Alpair MTMs - that'd be a lot of tine and expense in all solids, I'd think?

Last edited by chrisb; 13th January 2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 13th January 2017, 10:04 PM   #39
hobbers is offline hobbers  Canada
diyAudio Member

Chris, considering I built the Victors out of Fir and have a few thousand bdf of wood I may be the wrong person to be answering that. I personally wouldn't give it a second thought.

Bernie
Old 13th January 2017, 11:42 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone. Since I have cabinet making equipment in my shop and have made a bureau or two out of large panels I think I will do solid wood. I use baltic birch panels for many things(and purchase from the retailers Chris listed), but something fancy is always solid wood of some sort. It seems that Bernie and I are more comfortable with built up panels than Chris.

Opinions requested to help me select the best horn/fullrange driversHide this!Advertise here!