• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tv center speaker- stereo ? don't care

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a fr design to go under the tv . I have space where a sound bar resides now, 36" wide 18" deep 8 or 9" tall . This won't be a stereo center ch. my music listening is taken care of. The ears i'm blessed with require articulate mids, voice for sure. Thanks harold

Given the size of space you mention & that it's for centre channel use, I'm fairly sure Dave's recommendation would be for either an Alpair 7.3 or Alpair 10P/10.3 Both units are excellent on voice / speech. The 7.3 has an edge, but being a smaller driver it's outright sensitivity is lower, so it depends how far you are from the screen and what SPLs you needing.

In both cases, since it's for centre-channel use, you're unlikely to need all that space; most centre channels are bandwidth limited so sealed boxes are quite common, neither of which needs to be particularly large. Vented is possible though if preferred. I'm not sure whether Dave has a dedicated centre-channel design mar-Ken design in his plansets; unfortunately he's out of action at present for medical reasons, and I don't have access to his server to check. In the absense, I'll suggest sealed with a Qtc in the high 0.6 regions, or a reasonably damped reflex alignment.

As Cal noted above, Dave is currently dealing with medical issues, and will not likely be available to view / respond to any of these fora for at least a few weeks, so in the short term be prepared for a conversation with a few other voices contributing.

FWIW, I've used both A7.3 and A10P in centre channel of my 7.1 system -in enclosures with Dave's typical high aspect ratio slot ports. Primary seating distance is 10ft. As my enclosures have to date been located immediately below the screen on a "lowish" height equipment stand, the fronts have been titled to 5dg - an aesthetic that we started with the original Tysen a few years back, and which I've quite come to like - it's been incorporated into all of the FH designs from FH3 forward, and several others as well.

From the height you have available, I'd be inclined towards either of the 10cm models (A10s/ Pluvia 11) . Considering the huge amount of signal processing and EQ in any movie I've ever seen, I doubt that the lesser degree of low signal level resolution that might be discernible in the Pluvias compared to the Alpairs would be a significant disadvantage.

Scott could comment on how close the Pluvia's T/S parameters are to those of the Alpairs, and the efficacy of dropping the former into enclosures originally designed for the latter. My own opinion as regards to use in HT surround systems is is that as most modern DSPs provide the flexibility to set HP filter crossover frequency for each of the front row main and 4 or more surround channels separately, the frequency bandwidth where any enclosure tuning misalignment might most notably show in modelling or listening - i.e. the bottom couple of octaves - can easily be directed to the LFE channel's output to separately powered sub woofer(s)

Last edited:
frazier - as a follow up to above, after up-sizing from the A7.3 to A10P for my center channel, I'd be inclined to recommend the larger size if your budget could be stretched.

The Pluvia7s would make for a great small surround - I particularly found the front height in a non Atmos 7.1 setup made a noticeable improvement . I'm presently using CHP70s there - might upgrade those someday, but heftier subs will probably be next in line after a larger 4K screen sometime between now and Christmas.

Not to contradict Dr Moose, but I've built a couple of successful front vented enclosures with the A10 - in fact my current center channel with A10P is one of Dave's designs.

Madisound's current price on the A10.3 is a bargoon on which I'd jump - if I didn't already have more built speakers than my damaged rotator cuff would allow me to shake a stick at.

This is were so much of the fun of DSP multi-channel surround system derives - when set up for a center channel speaker, it's a discrete channel with separate content from however many of the other possible channels are connected. When speaker set up is selected with "center?=no", that content is then steered to the L&R front mains , and as with other stereo audio should be perceived by the listener as a phantom image.

"Mono" to me would imply the exact same full band content in all speakers - i.e. could be more than one, as in background / PA systems in a restaurant, etc.

edit: just dug out the sketch from Dave for my A10P center enclosure: 496mm W x 206mm H x 229mm D. Front baffle slanted forward at 5dg, a pair of 9mm x 150mm slot ports at each end - rear vented in my case since the system is on an open stand with at least 300mm to the back wall .

Attachments

• 2014-07-15 05.56.38.jpg
    2014-07-15 05.56.38.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 2014-07-15 05.57.25.jpg
    2014-07-15 05.57.25.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 2014-07-15 06.04.09.jpg
    2014-07-15 06.04.09.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
rock; indeed - when futzing around chasing down a ground loop hum while setting up my latest screen upgrade - turned out to be one of the sub woofer amps - I was in very near proximity to the front 3 while playing a movie - almost nothing coming out of the L&R mains when simple dialog is the only content.

I hear you Rock and Chrisb , some of my issue may be source, speakers, room, no particular order. I was thinking first, the room is horrible even for stereo.2nd For tv and movies ,av amp of at least some quality is required , am I being logical to run left right audio [stereo] to a center channel design?? Two speakers horizontal ?? I think I can deal with the room somewhat , but on my budget a good a.v.amp, not so much. thanks

I'm not sure I quite understand the questions packed into that post.

As might be obvious to someone tracking my rambling posts spanning many forum categories over the past several years, I've spent much more time / resources recently trying to fine tune a "modest" surround system. For any number of reasons - budget among them- the thrill of the chase towards a "transcendental" 2 channel audio only system is now as faint and distant memory as the honeymoon years of my marriage, and as with such a 45yr relationship, I'm now happy to seek a comfortable compromise. I'll leave the carousel of chasing that brass ring to the professionals and much younger cohort. At a certain age, even a low speed mount/dismount from that circular ride can be injurious to the joints, and wallet.

There will of course be alternate views to the question of discrete or "phantom" centre channel, but over the approx 15 yrs since my first attempt at a surround system, I've found that the former - ( i.e. discrete) -using a speaker system with as close to identical tonal signature to the L& R mains as the limitations often imposed by available space might allow - simply "works" better for me. As it just so happens, I'm currently using a single "FR" driver in that location, and a larger MTM 2-way for the "mains".

I've also taken full advantage of what I consider one of the biggest gifts in the past 20yrs to the amateur attempting such a system -affordable and user friendly DSP for speaker calibration and EQ - mine happens to be Audyssey XT32. Plug it all in and push go; they'll even stop to tell you when one of the speakers is out of phase- with up to 7, before Atmos :mad: is much easier to occur than you'd like.

I think I've been wise to quit window shopping the market since updating my AVR, but as I last recall a decent enough 5.1 receiver with 40-50 real watts could be attained for less than $500? please price-check that.

Unless budget is unrestrained, and if looking to systemically escalate to a new system, I'd be inclined to counsel starting with the receiver/surround DSP first, and learn its capabilities front to back - before the speakers. Then "decent enough" centre and mandatory sub(s) - I happen to be a fan of the multiple /smaller approach. Then the rear/side and if supported by the AVR - oh, I guess that would require at least 7.1 - the front heights - after decent subs, I found that even using modest 4" FR drivers there was a big surprise . I'm easily entertained sometimes, and sure hope I never get exposed to an in home Atmos experience. I've watched enough big screen iMax movies to know why I've been forced to go for a bigger screen, but rationalize that a full 12.2 - or beyond- is just not possible on the modest, hopefully soon to be retired government pension income to which I can eagerly look firward.

Not sure if that helped crystallize anything for you - I sorta lost track of time/space for a bit there :eek:

Last edited:
frazier - yup all home made - have played around a bit with the front row over the past year, but current configuration is:
-L&R mains - A12PW/A7.3 MTM, passive XO @ 300Hz (might even try the MAOPS in there? )
- Center - Alpair 10P or 10.3 in small vented enclosures - the10.3s are a better match to the 7.3 in mains
- Front Height Surrounds - MA CHP70 in mini onKen of some nomenclature
- Rear Surrounds - Alpair 6.2 metals in tiny sealed
- "Subs" - dual Eastech 7" woofers per side in corner mounted vented enclosures. - Probably now the weakest link for deep extension, but that's something to look forward to upgrading, I guess.

To be clear, the DSP is an integral part of the surround receiver - in my current case an Onkyo TX NR818, but I've installed a couple of Marantz units for family members, and they're nothing to sneeze at either.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.