• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Markaudio Alpair 5 Gen2 Pensil Plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several months ago I built at least 5 different enclosure designs for the A5.2, including the Giraffes. Having been a big fan of Scott's Pensils and the like for years, I'd be remiss in not saying that if your floor space will allow, the FH lite is well worth a look as well.

I've build quite a few examples of every model in the FH family, and while none are as simple a build as an MLTL for the same driver, I do think they outperform them several ways.

Whichever design you choose, some suggestions:
- it should be considered mandatory to both countersink all of Mark's thick bezeled drivers - but not the new CHS70/Pluvia 7, or the lower priced and less refined CHN70 - , and to chamfer the rear side of driver cutout as deeply as material will allow.
- a decent grade plywood "Baltic birch" etc is worth every extra dollar / Euro spent
- the drivers will take quite a few hours to fully break- in, so assessment of damping fill levels should be made after the 200+ hr point. Yes, that does mean some temporary arrangement to seal one side ( or in the case of MLTLs, the backs) during this interim

Last edited:
The cute little design of Scott's that Dave posted above is well worth a look. They are a much simpler build than the curved sided FHs, with a very compact footprint that makes for very easy placement - mind you they can be a bit tippy, so an extended base plate, outriggers, or a stone tile plinth for ballast would be a wise plan.

Sorry Scottmoose, couldn't resist..........:D

While the Alpair-Driver is beginning with break-in phase yesterday, i'm using the SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4.

For that size of speaker impressive Bass down to the mid 50th and overall a comfortable listening experience.

i'm tempted to build a second giraffe for that driver.:)

Attachments

• giraffe.jpg
    giraffe.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 583
In my eyes, it's a Giraffe. A cabinet design is just a description of dimensions, how deep, width and so on, with a specific driver in mind, that was given a name. If you put 'a wrong' driver in it, it's still the same cabinet. How do you call a FrugelHorn Lite with the Alpair 5 Gen2 in it?

won't disagree that a cabinet with a driver different from that for which the designer may have optimized / least compromised it will still be the same enclosure, and the performance may well be acceptable; but - and maybe I'm out of line unofficially "speaking on Scott's behalf", or simply being overly nit-picky - when a drawing states "for Alpair 5.2" or whatever, referring to that design by the same name when using a different driver delivering different performance results could misrepresent the original designer's intention.

yah, I know, sometimes I just get wound up over the silliest details. - mea culpa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.