• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn3 Speaker Placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have just completed my FH3's and am looking for some advice as to how best position them in a very small room 9' wide by 10 1/2' long. From what little I've had time to read so far, it appears these speakers like to be in the corners of a room. Would a "near field" configuration be best under these circumstances. If it makes any difference...I'm driving the speakers with my flea powered Bottlehead Stereomour amp. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated! Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong forum.

Jeff

I have the enabled Alpair 7.3en's installed...very nice drivers indeed. I have the full 40 gram package of acoustic stuffing in the front of each horn. I've only just sealed up the cabinets, the speakers do have several hundreds of break-in hours to date. I don't notice an excessive amount of bass and thought I might actually remove some of the stuffing after some hours of listening to the speakers. The speakers are backed into each corner so the speaker base almost contacts the baseboards and are toed in. I've yet to have time to further tweak the placement to create the "single point sound source" I believe I should be listening for?

Jeff

Thanks....so the speakers don't necessarily have to be backed into a corner....just "close" proximity to the rear wall? I may be misinterpreting "corner loaded"??? I presume I can straighten them up perpendicular to the rear wall, then toe in appropriately to create the soundstage. Pardon my terminology, I'm new to all of this!

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A corner really helps the FE126. The higher W drivers tend to more gain at the lowest frequencies so need the damping up front. Less damping means more bass and the ability to play low without the corner. Lots of damping and a corner should give less ripple, but at these frequencies the room dominates so all bets are off and things need to be considered on a individual basis.

With the A7 you have more capability to damp the bass, so you can, if it works better, pull them out of the corner, and then bring the bass back in line with less damping.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.