Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 21st January 2016, 05:59 PM   #1
M42 is offline M42  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel-Horn3 Speaker Placement

Hi, I have just completed my FH3's and am looking for some advice as to how best position them in a very small room 9' wide by 10 1/2' long. From what little I've had time to read so far, it appears these speakers like to be in the corners of a room. Would a "near field" configuration be best under these circumstances. If it makes any difference...I'm driving the speakers with my flea powered Bottlehead Stereomour amp. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated! Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong forum.

Jeff
Old 21st January 2016, 06:14 PM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn3 Speaker Placement
What drivers do you have in them?

Ideally the backs of the horns need to be near the wall behind. To get the most bass a corner is desirable, but with some drivers that would require more damping in the front of the box to knock back the bass.

dave
Old 21st January 2016, 06:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have the enabled Alpair 7.3en's installed...very nice drivers indeed. I have the full 40 gram package of acoustic stuffing in the front of each horn. I've only just sealed up the cabinets, the speakers do have several hundreds of break-in hours to date. I don't notice an excessive amount of bass and thought I might actually remove some of the stuffing after some hours of listening to the speakers. The speakers are backed into each corner so the speaker base almost contacts the baseboards and are toed in. I've yet to have time to further tweak the placement to create the "single point sound source" I believe I should be listening for?

Jeff
Old 21st January 2016, 06:26 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

With them pushed into the corners you may need to full 40 g. With the A7 a bit less damping would allow them to be moved out of the corner if you want.

You likely want to be listening at least a bit off the axis of the drivers.

dave
Old 21st January 2016, 06:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks....so the speakers don't necessarily have to be backed into a corner....just "close" proximity to the rear wall? I may be misinterpreting "corner loaded"??? I presume I can straighten them up perpendicular to the rear wall, then toe in appropriately to create the soundstage. Pardon my terminology, I'm new to all of this!

Jeff
Old 21st January 2016, 07:03 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A corner really helps the FE126. The higher W drivers tend to more gain at the lowest frequencies so need the damping up front. Less damping means more bass and the ability to play low without the corner. Lots of damping and a corner should give less ripple, but at these frequencies the room dominates so all bets are off and things need to be considered on a individual basis.

With the A7 you have more capability to damp the bass, so you can, if it works better, pull them out of the corner, and then bring the bass back in line with less damping.

dave
Old 21st January 2016, 07:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Pulled them out of the corner...they sound better already. I'll have a play with them over time for optimal position & damping. Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Frugel-Horn3 Speaker PlacementHide this!Advertise here!