• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Speaker to move some air in work shop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been living with a pair of Woden Design Vulcan's driven by a 6w Decware Rachael tube amp and am very happy with them in the home environment, but am looking for another project build to use in my big cabinet shop to be driven by a 100w or so solid state amp (I have an old Hafler laying around unused).
Any suggestions for a design and speaker to be used in a much larger space where volume will be more of an issue?
Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Em-Ken?

We have been working on these for sometime, ostensibly for use in PA work (slowly). Our goal is for a speaker that will fill this role and still be usable as a PA speaker. This summer we did get to the point where we were happy with the sound in a hifi role. Took quite a bit of work on the driver (Eminence 12LTA). Some here are quite happy with the driver in stock form (less dust caps).

500221d1440397213-12th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2015-image-1.jpg

They are about the same efficiency as Vulcan, but handle more power, and being a 12" move more air. They do need a tweeter -- the one you see is a cap coupled Foster, the one used in the radio shack pods.

We have also done a test fit of a Fostex FT17 mounted in some plumbing fittings that can be fitted as a Phase plug… given the high XO that arrangement would be good, we will proceed with that next.

All the drivers are quite inexpensive.

dave

So I am building these right now with the Eminence 12LTA that I found neglected in a closet (Dave modded).
I am looking at the Fostex FT17H for a tweeter. I'll set in on top of the enclosure with a stand of some sort.
What do I need in terms of a crossover?
Thanks

They are assembled with the Fostex FT17H's.
The low end is lacking and mids a bit but I am in a big 2400sf open building and I haven't pushed the volume yet.
Where do I start in terms of acoustic damping? Acousta-stuff or sheet material and where?
I did build with removable back and the front/back internal brace as well as both side braces.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.