frugalhorn lite 001.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 1,179
  • frugalhorn lite 003.jpg
    frugalhorn lite 003.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 1,145
  • frugalhorn lite 006.jpg
    frugalhorn lite 006.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 1,128
thanks plund. i do like the sound, so much that i take them over to friends. i like it when they try to find the sub.
as for the five hours........i'm a cabinet maker by trade, so it's easy peasy for me. i kept the jigs under my bench in case they would want to build a pair. but i don't enjoy building anything twice. maybe a pencil 10.3 next.

Blucolrdrew, Ahhh, you have the skills and tools of a cabinet maker...that almost seems like cheating.;) I built some FH3's a few years ago and I think they took me five hours to build...plus another gazillion!
I have the MA 7.3 drivers in mine and even though they do well on the bass-end of the spectrum, I like the richness that a sub adds to my FH's.
Are those FF85's you have in your FH lites?

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize for not reporting in earlier. I completed my FH Lites with removable baffles in late November last year and just had time enough for a cursory first listen before the wife and I left for a long overdue holiday. Upon return the usual catching-up activities followed leaving me with hardly any time for some serious listening.

My first driver choice was the Fountek FE 85, a decision which was partly influenced by S4m’s glowing comments and also by my own experience with these drivers, having used them earlier in both the BR-MLTL Hybrids and the Fenceposts. The Fenceposts are decent speakers with adequate bass but somehow left one wishing for some improvement in the highs department.

Fountek FE85 – Not only was I surprised by the first impressions at my initial listen-in, it floored me absolutely! It was as though a cover had been removed from atop these drivers and they performed like they were a few notches higher up the quality ladder. A simple change of cabinets and a HUGE change in the characteristics of this humble driver. Amazing!
The soundstage, bass just the way I like it, good mids and clear, crisp highs – it was all there.

Tymphany TC9FD – Smoother and more controlled in Sound Quality and delivery with well defined highs, distinct mids and reasonable bass output. They gave a good overall performance with nice balance while listening although to my ears they sounded a wee bit more overpowering than the Founteks. That’s my personal opinion though and others may disagree…. :)

I plan to use a few more drivers that I have at hand after this.

Having said that, I realized quite early that I needed some kind of yardstick, something with which I could base my comparisons on. So I took the plunge and ordered a pair of Fostex FF85WKs through a popular Kerala, South India-based online DIY audio parts portal. I received them some time ago and the drivers are currently housed in a pair of Foam Core Lances built to specs, for the break-in period. (Thanks Scottmoose for these great sounding speakers in a small package. I’ve ordered and received a second pair of FF85WKs that I plan to use in a pair of plywood Lances as soon as I get the opportunity to build them).

A huge thank you to the Planet 10 team for giving us this latest addition to the Frugel-Horn family. It gives one a good idea of what to expect should one decide to go for one for the larger FH designs.

PS: Gents, I want to give the new TB W3-2141s a shot too. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,251
  • TC9FD.jpg
    TC9FD.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,239
Blucolrdrew, I have the MA 7.3 in my FH3's, and that is the only configuration I have heard them in and yes, I do recommend them. Other than their relatively high cost I cannot fault them. The 7.3's are very detailed...they sound marvelous! I have been tempted to venture into the MA Pluvia 7's, which are reported to be quite nice, yet nearly half the cost of the 7.3's
As for your 15" Alphas, good question as to how best use them. I recently built a single, 12" sealed sub, driven with a 200 watt plate amp which mates very well with some 3" desktop speakers (the "Redeye", also designed/drawn by Scott and Dave). Most folks seem to use the Alpha 15" in open baffle, but I understand they can be used in a sealed configuration also. They wouldn't be earthshakingly loud, but you probably don't need that.

WOW this thread has come alive since I started lurking! I've had 2 pairs of 3" drivers just waiting for an enclosure and finally I stumble upon the FH series. I've got a pair of FE83 and some Olasonic woven somethings from DigiFi volume 19. The FE83 seem like they'd be better than FE85 but I'm new to reading T/S and really only basing my judgment on the CCAW vs plain copper and the higher xmax.

I haven't even finished these and I want to try the Tang Band W4-2142 in the FH3's - any thoughts? I found it weird that a W5 was recommended but then noticed that Tang Band's sizing is a bit off from other drivers...

Anyway no glue yet, better get to it.

KgakqYu.jpg

Re: FE83: Too much... too much bass! Like extremely annoying bother-the-neighbors kind of bass. I didn't think to take any measurements before behind-baffle stuffing but here's after third pass adding stuffing behind-baffle (and before applying the felt and rounding the corner where the tip of the horn is). "They sound bigger than they are" is an understatement.
PEdniWm.jpg

Measurement taken about a meter away on axis, have the speaker about a foot against a wall and next to my TV stand cabinet so a kind of virtual corner I guess. Mic is the notorious Panasonic WM-61A, no correction, with a thrown together phantom power stage a la gainphile, and using a CMOY as a pre-amp (looked close enough to Linkwitz's DIY mic preamp, just a basic non-inverting opamp circuit).

Other than that, the glorious mids I've heard so much about are there, spooky realistic and everything but... I guess this is what they call "shouty"? Mids were way too far forward, everything is out of place, unbalanced (and not helped by the bass), and extremely fatiguing. I'll report back once I apply the felt and round off the corner and give the drivers some break-in.

Also it seemed without any stuffing there was just too much bass, but every time I added/adjusted the stuffing the bass got kind of one-notey, i.e. it became REALLY prominent in one specific frequency and muffled elsewhere. Am I packing too tight? To tame the bass equally should I add it spread out across the baffle?

Also if anyone cares about the Japanese drivers they were actually a bit worse: sibilant? The treble was a mess, and there was too much of it. I tried listening off-axis and it was a little better, and the rest of the FR curve sounded like it would be flatter, but there was less detail in the mids. Low enough to make me wonder why go through all this trouble, my boxy speakers had better mids. Again this was without felt and rounded corners.

Hello Musiklava
After re-reading this thread, I realized that you may have some real insight on the FF85WK. I too would like to get a pair and try the FH lites but.....I was also considering the Lances. With a move to a new home and a smaller listening room, I have need to build smaller (near field)
speakers. Did you get to build your plywood Lances? I would love to hear your thoughts on how they compare/contrast with the FHLites.

Anyone try both boxes?

My room is odd: 10' wide x 15' long x 15' high open to a loft. For now, I'm using a SET to drive them.

Obviously the Lance is slightly easier to build but not really an incentive over building the FH LITES.

Hello Musiklava
After re-reading this thread, I realized that you may have some real insight on the FF85WK. I too would like to get a pair and try the FH lites but.....I was also considering the Lances. With a move to a new home and a smaller listening room, I have need to build smaller (near field)
speakers. Did you get to build your plywood Lances? I would love to hear your thoughts on how they compare/contrast with the FHLites.

Anyone try both boxes?

My room is odd: 10' wide x 15' long x 15' high open to a loft. For now, I'm using a SET to drive them.

Hi,

I agree with Dave. The FH lites are your best bet. They have better bass extension and will be suitable for the size of your room.

No, I've not yet built the Lances. I'm waiting for warmer weather to hit our part of the world. :D

If you're looking for something smaller, Dave is the best person to guide you. He's got loads of experience behind him and has heard all the speakers under discussion and many more, besides. :)

ML