• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Ever worked with Seas X1-08 Exotic F8?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah that's the gist of what most people say, too expensive! They do have those nice AlNiCo magnets though. I've come across a few designs, the Seas sealed box, as well as the "Simply Exotic" which is ported: Simply Exotic - Mai 2012 - Loudspeakermagazine 2012 | Loudspeakerbuilding and some backloaded horns from Hasehiro audio in Japan:

wcw-x1-04e.jpg

I'll have to decide which will work best

The TL in the lautsprecherbau page it's just "silly". The 3 LCR notches are beyond my definition of FR, which might suggest that the driver is not well designed as the price suggests.
Just look at the waterfall of the bare driver and the driver mounted in the box + electrical corrections: the latter exhibits a flat ruler freq. response and I hope the loooong decay below 100 Hz is some artifact of the measurement procedure ( as often occurs, as the room is "predominant") and not the result of the boomy delayed "sound" exiting from the terminus.
The driver seems a well-engineered FR with enough excursion (I hadn't seen the data in the lautsprecherbau page) given the rubber surround.
It depends on your particular application.
It might be a part of a "racer-speaker" for 100+ Watt amplifier in a FAST type of speaker: I would simply ( looking and the waterfall it exhibits a rising response ) cross it with a HUGE 47 uF cap and put a long stroke 8" sub, also from Car with 4 Ω impedance....coil about 4 mH :eek::rolleyes:

Oh! I didn't realize that this is the 8 Ω version, so it Un-balances my thoughts, as a 22 uF really sucks for HP ( joules...)
well, even 47 uF...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We are cash poor… as much as we'd love to play with drivers like these, not currently in our budget. As Chris said the the much less expensive SEAS 8" FR is quite good, so the Ecotic are probably really good. IIRC the specs on these are such that a sealed box is a good 1st box.

I would tackle EnABLing them, but i usually leave the exotica for Bud himself.

dave

I was able to secure a pair for half price overseas with the aid of some German translation, otherwise I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I spent some time discussing the design with Bob Brines, and given the QB3 BR would be over 200 liters, I will likely have to stick with the 60 liter sealed design for the sake of WAF ... Unless you want to design a backloaded horn for them Dave ;)

...and yes, I hope to be sending them over to get the stage 1 EnABLing from you (whenever they show up), if you're up for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.