• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Stuffing for Markaudio Pensil R70.3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My daughter sees me building speakers for my entertainment center recently and has decided she wants a pair of speakers for her upcoming birthday. OK, I'm game! We both like the idea of the Markaudio Pensil R70.3 TLs, with the CHR-70.3 full range drivers. My question is about stuffing. The plans simply say to use 0.7 lb of polyfill. I have never built TL speakers before. I understand the function of the stuffing is a little bit different than it is in a bass reflex or sealed box.

How should I distribute this 0.7 lb of stuffing? Staple it to the walls? Tease it out and suspend it with chicken wire? Attach it to the bracing? I guess I'm mainly unclear about whether the stuffing should be attached to the walls or suspended uniformly in the cavity? And should it be fluffed? Thanks in advance!

I generally use a bit less than the prescribed amount and really fluff the hell out of it for maximum expansion....play around with different amounts to your taste. My pensils also have a 2 -3 inch high x 3/4" thick ply braces just above the bottom opening, one from back to front and one from side to side....this keeps the fill from falling down into the port area.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.