• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil design using quad Alpair 10.2's...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is something somewhat in the lines of what I'm thinking. I'm a little rusty in using this SketchUp software, and I'm extremely tired right now as well, so please excuse the crudeness of the drawing. And I have no idea why Stan Lee is the model...

p934066138-5.jpg

p662908728-5.jpg

Last edited:
Just a little info on those enclosures...

They would be roughly 40" high, 20" wide and 12" deep at the center of the baffle. At 20" wide, BS is around 230 Hz. Of course, none of this is set in stone and I can adjust all dimensions as needed to dial in the system.

Now as far as playing around with these online x-over calculators, they ask for HP and LP impedance. I'm assuming this should be the actual Re of the drivers and not the nominal impedance of 8 ohms. IWO, 7.2 ohms for the Alpair, 5.7 ohms for the Scanspeak.

How close to being "in the ballpark" do these calculators get you? Being 1st order, they will have a 90 degree phase swing. Is there any way of correcting that or is it even worth it?

I notice the inductors are around the 3.5mH mark which isn't too bad, but those caps! Upwards of 85uF! :eek:

But seriously, it might be time to migrate this chain of exchange to the general FR or even Multi-way forums?

Yeah, that has proven useless. I started a thread yesterday morning and it's gotten nowhere, though several threads have started since mine, even one this afternoon and they already have multiple replies. I guess I'm not well liked on this forum.

No. That is the REAL part of the impedance at DC. A starting point is the impedance at the XO point.

dave

No. You look at the impedance curve at the point where you XO as a starting point. Iy is just a starting point, the calculator assumes the impedance is REAL, when it is really COMPLEX. And it assumes the drivers have flat response.

dave

Thank you, Dave.

Yeah, that has proven useless. I started a thread yesterday morning and it's gotten nowhere, though several threads have started since mine, even one this afternoon and they already have multiple replies. I guess I'm not well liked on this forum

Not at all - but note how quickly the conversation turned towards discussion of XO methodology, not just topology?

There must be reasons for that

I wish you success with the project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.