Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 30th September 2015, 04:59 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

"Tweaking" the Super Pensil 12.2p - Advice?
The felt at the top is to reduce early reflections thru the cone. The smaller the cabinet the greater the benefit.

As a TL the Pensil uses quarter-wave resonance to make extra bass. The damping is to kill the unwanted higher frequency resonances that we don't want. Less damping means more bass but more ripple from the unwanted harmonics. More damping gives a smoother response with less bass.

Room, room placement, and taste play a role too so there is no fixed correct amount. The back is removable so that you can play.

In our build Chris ended up pulling out about a 1/3 of the recommended damping.

dave
Old 30th September 2015, 05:05 PM   #12
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

In our build Chris ended up pulling out about a 1/3 of the recommended damping.

dave
To clarify, this was on our original build of A7 Pensil - I did something similar on an ongoing custom build of curved sided Pensils - net stuffing measured at 200grams.

Jeff (vinylkid) could probably answer questions regarding the SuperPs for 12.2Ps .
Old 30th September 2015, 07:46 PM   #13
withavee is offline withavee  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks guys. I'll add felt to the top and play with stuffing this weekend.
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:32 PM   #14
m3tr0g33k is offline m3tr0g33k  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I seem to have missed the development of the 12.2p since 2012.
Does anyone have completed frequency curves of the pensil and super pensil with the 12.2p?
What sort of room size does anyone have them in? I am blessed with less cleaning and a small living rom - about 5.5m by 3.3m, so my listening triangle would be a little less than that. About 3.5m between me and the drive units.

Just interested in a reasonably priced full-range project to go with a class-T with digital sources.

Thanks all!
Old 2nd October 2015, 06:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Some thoughts for m3tr0g33k

I've heard the Alpair12.2P in only two enclosures - Jeff's SuperPensil, and a moderate sized standmounted design by Dave - Mar-KenT or some such name. I think this driver really wants a larger vented enclosure to deliver its full potential in the bottom several octaves.

The SuperPensil is not a tiny box - they can certainly have placement issues, and it sounds like your room would be rather on the smallish size to fully appreciate them.

Unless you've already reason to decide otherwise, either of the 10s might be a more practical choice - they work well in a wider range of enclosure sizes than the 12Ps, and certainly can deliver decent bass response in a much smaller box than the Supers.

The most recent "digital" (Class D) amp that I've quite liked is the TPA3116, but there are numerous other candidates to consider
Old 2nd October 2015, 10:00 PM   #16
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tr0g33k View Post
What sort of room size does anyone have them in? I am blessed with less cleaning and a small living room - about 5.5m by 3.3m, so my listening triangle would be a little less than that. About 3.5m between me and the drive units.
I have my Pensils in a slightly larger room, with an added "L" bit. The speakers aren't terribly wide, but are quite deep. You might want to consider the A10p in a Pensil box as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tr0g33k View Post
Just interested in a reasonably priced full-range project to go with a class-T with digital sources.
No T amps here, just tubes. The 12p's will play with dynamics and authority with 18 watts/ch.

jeff
Old 5th October 2015, 11:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Jeff - did you ever record the weight of fill used?
Old 5th October 2015, 11:41 PM   #18
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

The bag was around 560-580 grams IIRC. So each speaker got roughly a half of that.

jeff

"Tweaking" the Super Pensil 12.2p - Advice?Hide this!Advertise here!