Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 5th May 2015, 08:40 PM   #241
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello Dave:
Those cabinets look nice.
Although they are a little "boxy" looking. Are there ways to change the configuration a bit to make them a little more interesting or even pretty?
Bi-pole with the 12pw, more narrow face, vent to the back or bottom, rolled corners??? That kind of thing.
Where do you think they land respecting db/watt.
Old 5th May 2015, 08:48 PM   #242
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.
Sure. The width helps determie the XO frequency, changes in cab width would dictate change in XO but that is easy and with the extension of both drivers change is not a big concern.

Some concern might play with the obsturction in the TL caused by the midTL.

dave
Old 5th May 2015, 09:24 PM   #243
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

I thought that the drawings would be needed to determine what types of changes would be possible. There is often more going on inside than can be seen from the outside.
Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 09:42 PM   #244
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD View Post
I thought that the drawings would be needed to determine what types of changes would be possible.There is often more going on inside than can be seen from the outside.
Thanks

having built this particular pair, and several other of Dave & Dr. Scott's designs, yes, reconfiguring to narrow / deep would change several things, but might make shoehorning the mid/tweet's TL between the woofers a bit simpler
Old 5th May 2015, 11:29 PM   #245
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpert View Post
Man, that sucks!

I mean, that is a tad impractical if you ask me. For others, it may become even more impractical. Consider people living in small apartments, or in a room/dorm. Leaving the system on 24/7 is bound to irritate people in such a situation, up to the point where the break in process may be a deal breaker for some. I sincerely think that a lot of (potential) buyers of the Alpair series would feel that an accelerated break-in procedure would be of great help. It may even advance sales a bit... Maybe achieving 100 % break in is not feasible/desirable, but say, 75% of the way with accelerated aging, and 25 % during normal use would be a good goal.

I am aware of the position of Mark Fenlon on this issue, but especially he is in a position where he will always have speakers to listen to, while his new creations are breaking in around the clock somewhere else, and so he has no reason to deviate from the process he considers best. But his optimum is not automatically someone else's optimum. I am not the kind of guy who takes "nope, can't be done" easily. But I also don't like to whine without contributing to a possible solution, so I'd like to think about the issue (perhaps in another thread), and offer up my pair of A7P's as guinea pigs, when a credible method comes out of the discussion. Does that sound reasonable/feasible?
Hi there T: Try it you'll like it. I have averaged 12hr a day for two weeks, rather than 24/7's. regards Michael

Last edited by j.michael droke; 5th May 2015 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 8th May 2015, 12:58 AM   #246
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Hi Timpert,

Any update on the sound? Assuming you have quite a few hours on the drivers by this time.
Old 8th May 2015, 07:20 AM   #247
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yesterday, they had over 240 hours of break-in on them when I turned the setup off. This weekend, I'll try them again. In the meantime, I have constructed an adapter ring for a different driver, so that the driver-with-ring physically drops into place of the A7P. With this "Frankenpair", I wanted to see if there are any common features in the response, in order to get an idea of the influence of the cabinet on the response. Up to about 3 kHz, the response wiggles are similar, and thus probably caused by cabinet diffraction alone, but above that, they "fly apart", probably caused by differences between the driver's response (both on- and off axis) and the slight different in cone size. To do: compare pre and post BI measurements and listen to the system using the same tracks as I used before.
Old 11th May 2015, 08:01 AM   #248
diyAudio Member

As I have had other things on my mind last weekend, I have no news yet. I don't know when I'll have time to work on them again.
Old 14th May 2015, 08:39 AM   #249
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Weekend approaching timpert... if time and priorities allow, give 'em a spin.
Old 29th May 2015, 03:26 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

It has taken me a while to get to it, but I have retried them. Their character hasn't changed as far as I can judge, and also the measurements don't show any difference in the bigger picture. There has been a subtle change at the point where the top-end resonance starts, but that's about it.

Compared to the Frankenpairs, they A7P's are more extended, but the Frankenpairs are much smoother in the 6-16 kHz region, and they gradually roll off over 16k. All in all, while they miss that little "sparkle" that the A7P's give, I find them more pleasant and easy to listen to.

A few words on the A12PW are in place here. It plays very nice with the Frankenpairs, and due to its extended response and gentle roll-off, arriving at a target response with a passive filter is a doddle. They are capable of significant bass output, so all in all I am quite satisfied with them. But it seems like they won't be used along with the A7P's.

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.Hide this!Advertise here!