Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 15th September 2014, 02:37 PM   #111
Robertburchell is offline Robertburchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post

However for those can't resist the attraction towards big-boys toys and/or are "play loud rock-un-rollers", Markaudio drivers shouldn't be their first choice. Its simply a question of picking the right gear for the particular job guys have in mind.

Thanks
Mark.
That being said, the A7.3's that sit in my main system crossed to a decent subwoofer do Rock quite good! This coming from a person who listens to a little bit everything from classical, rock, metal, country, hiphop, blues, jazz, etc. Mind you, running them fullrange without bass support does require a little attention to volume levels and genres, but with bass support, they really do rock well!

I played around with an A12p with bass support and the dynamics were stunning. Quite a combo. That same A12p currently sits in a bit of a hacked together open baffle for testing.

With proper implementation I personally find the Mark Audio drivers be very Rock worthy. Of course what I consider to be loud and unruly may be quite and tame in the eyes (or ears) of others.
Old 16th September 2014, 11:33 PM   #112
markaudio is offline markaudio  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertburchell View Post
That being said, the A7.3's that sit in my main system crossed to a decent subwoofer do Rock quite good! This coming from a person who listens to a little bit everything from classical, rock, metal, country, hiphop, blues, jazz, etc. Mind you, running them fullrange without bass support does require a little attention to volume levels and genres, but with bass support, they really do rock well!

I played around with an A12p with bass support and the dynamics were stunning. Quite a combo. That same A12p currently sits in a bit of a hacked together open baffle for testing.

With proper implementation I personally find the Mark Audio drivers be very Rock worthy. Of course what I consider to be loud and unruly may be quite and tame in the eyes (or ears) of others.
Hello Robert,
Good to hear from you. Yes........if Markaudio drivers are used in mixed systems where a heavy bass load is done by a larger suitable drive, there's no technical reason not to "rock un roll"

I'm still of a mind to produce a larger bass driver. The 12PW is the "forerunner"; Low mass, bass-wide, near-flat response, acoustically efficient air-pusher that doesn't need a bucket-load of power.

Just a question of time, energy and the green-stuff$$$$. Rest assured, if I can put a 10" or 12" super driver together, I'll seek guys feedback along the way.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 16th September 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:13 AM   #113
Bob Brines is offline Bob Brines  United States
diyAudio Member

I can confirm what Robert is saying. While I don't do rock often or metal ever, I did some playing around with A10P's over stereo 12's. At least for me, palpable chest-thumping starts at ~85dB in the 50-80Hz range. This is entirely handled by the 12's. I can easily hit 100dB (earmuffs and earplugs installed!!) and the A10P's are running with something like 5-10w RMS and virtually no cone movement. So, Mark, there's what it will take for me to rock.

There is another side to low. Take Bach's "Passacaglia and Fugue in c" (C1) and Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (B0). While The A10P in my MLTL will reproduce these note at a reasonable volume, a larger driver produces them with an ease a fluidity that is missing with a smaller driver.

Bob
Old 18th September 2014, 09:23 AM   #114
diycoyote is offline diycoyote  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi. I need help advice with choice proper drivers to play different varieties rock music, sometimes also jazz. I exactly finished my 2a3 amplifier which will be source of power I read many positive feedbacks about Alpair drivers, but I still don't know which one will be best for me. A7.3 in BR supported by subwoofer, A10.3, A12p (BR or Pensil), combo A7p&12PW. I will be very grateful for any suggestion.

Last edited by markaudio; 18th September 2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 18th September 2014, 06:47 PM   #115
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Alpair10P, passive line level XO around 120 or so to stereo powered woofers.

While they are capable of deeper extension than that, I think the power of the 2A3 would limit the attainable SPLs and dynamics.

I've not yet heard the latest 10s in a Pensil, but they certainly work like a charm in the FHXL

Last edited by chrisb; 18th September 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 18th September 2014, 06:54 PM   #116
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Rest assured, if I can put a 10" or 12" super driver together, I'll seek guys feedback along the way.

Cheers
Mark.
careful what you wish for

I'd want something along the lines of a JBL2225, but with "a bit more cow-bell"
Old 18th September 2014, 08:11 PM   #117
onform is offline onform  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mark I can imagine you would cause quite a stir if you produced a driver similar or better than the aforementioned JBL drivers but at a more reasonable cost!!
Old 18th September 2014, 10:40 PM   #118
markaudio is offline markaudio  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Agreed, the 225 JBL is my kind of driver. Low MMS (<11 gram) it has a 5mm excursion, good for its era. Its operating frequency range is limited, so we'd be extending this to something over 7-kHz and trade-off some efficiency for additional excursion and lower Fo. As regards box sizing, they become monsters by todays standards, JBL suggesting 140 litres in their literature. I guess many end-users might be looking at OB for an application.

Take a fresh look at the 12PW. While its SPL is a lick over 88dB, its moving mass remains relatively low (11.7g) so it won't need allot of power to move. I've used my 8 watt 300B SET with ease. SPL doesn't tell you everything about the efficiency of a driver, it isn't a holy grail.

Should (if) I produce a larger driver, it would be technically different from the JBL. The challenge comes in terms of application: OB or box? High electrical damping = more SPL = lower Qt and less excursion, or low damping = more excursion = lower Fo = more Vas. There's no "free lunch" and these issues weren't resolved in the big woofer thread that ran earlier in the year.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 18th September 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 19th September 2014, 01:38 AM   #119
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Mark: That was chosen as a probably well known benchmark, and one I've heard a fair bit of recently - yes hard to envision you intentionally designing any driver with such a limited operating bandwidth . There are scores of such extant- I'm sure anything you release would be reMarkable in their own way.
Old 21st September 2014, 04:48 PM   #120
cedricb is offline cedricb  Europe
diyAudio Member

...would it be possible to do an open baffle with the up-coming drivers (7.3p, 12pw, chs40/50), similar to the Manzanita with a passive crossover?

Alpair 7P &amp; Alpair 12PW combination.Hide this!Advertise here!