Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 12th September 2014, 09:21 PM   #101
Studio Au is offline Studio Au  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For me the 7's are amazingly articulate, but try and play electronic music, or a movie with a heavy soundtrack and they start to struggle (and sometimes with scary Xmax), taking off those last few octaves allows them to excel in the range they do best, without missing out on those church organs or double bass...

Why not opt for the 12P instead??
Old 12th September 2014, 09:36 PM   #102
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Yes, I mean WP, thanks :-). I am just surprised why would you want to pair one extremely wide range driver with another :-).
Very well behaved for simple low order XOs. We have done this with other brands and gotten very good results. Here & here.

We are excited about these new woofers... i have a design (in progress, over 2 years old) that took consideration for the expectation that we would see A12pw.

dave
Old 12th September 2014, 10:28 PM   #103
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Yup, even a single pair of 12PW in side firing push/push configuration with 7P or possibly 7.3 / MAOP7 would be quite interesting.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:32 PM   #104
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
Why not opt for the 12P instead??
well for one thing, the 10.3 or 10P can probably go lower - and in a much smaller box, and secondly, I find the "FAST" high passed + woofer combination of 7s and bass driver of your choice to be more detailed in the upper mids and top end than the 12P
Old 12th September 2014, 11:09 PM   #105
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
the 10.3 or 10P can probably go lower - and in a much smaller box ... than the 12P
In our alignment (optimal) , A10.3 fits a smaller box, A10p, A12p same volume.

The A12p is capable of the least extension, its only edge comes with dynamics.

A12pw is a different beast. Lower efficiency, higher Vas means it can go lower, lower than any MA driver that preceded it.

dave
Old 13th September 2014, 01:26 AM   #106
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

So Mark may need to qualify his earlier statement "not all Alpairs aren't woofers". Even with their expected performance (we'll find out soon enough) let's hope that common sense prevails in their application

Old 13th September 2014, 02:06 AM   #107
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

I know this is a bit OT, but what about the idea of an A7P MicroTower? Maybe plus an A12PW? Separate chambers... You can whip that up in a few hours, right, Chris?
Old 13th September 2014, 02:36 AM   #108
markaudio is offline markaudio  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
So Mark may need to qualify his earlier statement "not all Alpairs aren't woofers". Even with their expected performance (we'll find out soon enough) let's hope that common sense prevails in their application

Yes.............................. Comes back to comments I've made on other threads when talking about power-handling and the desire for "power" generally. The 12PW remains a "light load" driver. Its a re-tuned 12P capable of bass extension. It is possible to get a bass response that is satisfying without the need for huge woofs and/or a tone of power.

However for those can't resist the attraction towards big-boys toys and/or are "play loud rock-un-rollers", Markaudio drivers shouldn't be their first choice. Its simply a question of picking the right gear for the particular job guys have in mind.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 13th September 2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 13th September 2014, 02:59 AM   #109
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Ah View Post
I know this is a bit OT, but what about the idea of an A7P MicroTower?
Sure, why not. Just need an appropriate tuning.

dave
Old 13th September 2014, 05:49 AM   #110
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Ah View Post
I know this is a bit OT, but what about the idea of an A7P MicroTower? Maybe plus an A12PW? Separate chambers... You can whip that up in a few hours, right, Chris?

yah, thanx a lot - but I was thinking with MAOP7 - seriously guys these MAOP drivers are something pretty damned special

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Sure, why not. Just need an appropriate tuning.

dave

what makes me think you've not already done the math?

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.Hide this!Advertise here!