• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mark Audio Alpair 10.x/FF165wk compact Floorstander Intro & Questions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have developed a new compact floorstander for the Alpair 10p, A10.3, A10.2 and Fostex FF165wk.

As well as plans for these going into the appropriate plan-sets, we are planning on doing flat-paks of these, and want to inquire as to whether front or rear vent is preferred (designer prefers the latter)

Chris has a new front row for his HT based on the A10p prototypes (with metal grills -- the Pensil 7 for comparison).

A10p-trap-FS-comp.jpg

Here is an extents drawing which shows how compact these are. A10p, A10.2, FF165wk are the sameoutside demensions, the A10.3 is narrower (same as the EL70 trapezoid FS these were developed from (bottom picture)

A10x-trap-FS-extentsX.gif

The original MAr-Ken70 trapezoid Floorstander (the small speaker in front, in solid yellow cedar by Bernie)

MK70-trap-FS3-comp.jpg

dave

Dave,
I really like the look and expected positive WAP on these, and would be most interested in the A10.3.....if I had my choice I'd have a preference for front vent but if flat pacs end up rear vent, that would be fine. Any idea when then fpacs may be available?

Thanks,
Mario

Mario - once we settle on details to rationalize for different vent lengths, shouldn't take too long.

Note that the port for 10.2 is substantially longer, and as I prefer to dado that panel in on one side, it requires a separate production program.

FWIW, after playing around with a listening session this weekend (listened to total of 3 different enclosure/driver combos in 2 different rooms, and moved 2 others around), I'd tend to agree with Scott on the aesthetics of rear vent.

Last edited:
I'm pretty pumped up about this mini-floorstander, perfect size really, for my lonely MA10.3 drivers. I think they'll work well on a number of levels in my increasingly crowded back room/workshop!

Can any comments be made regarding sonics? How might they compare to pencils (A7.3 and A12P) or slot-port BR 10.2 ala TwinAudio? Thanks,

Mario

Let me fire up the Pensil7s this evening for a quick comparison.

What I can say after last weekend's session is that with either the 10P or 10.3, the FHXL throw a much wider and deeper soundstage - but at the premium of substantially larger footprint. Photos of that to follow

The same would likely be true of the FH3 vs Pensil, but as my FH3 have the MAOP7s, that's not exactly a fair comparison.

The other enclosure types I can't comment on - unless Jeff wants to lend these an ear over the weekend to compare to the A12P SuperPensils

A few more photos re "scale /dimensions" FHXL10P , Pensil7, MarKen10X

Now, as to "sonics" - after a couple of sessions with all 3 enclosures shown, including both 10.3 and 10P in the XLs, I was only able to come to one conclusion - regardless of your preference for metal or paper, if you have the floor space for the horns ....

The A7 definitely has something special going on in terms of low level detail/microdynamics/DDR whatever you want to call it, and sense of depth of image. As probably mentioned elsewhere, on initial audition of the 10P and 10.3, I preferred the former, and indeed upgraded the front row 3 of my small video system with the smaller enclosures pictured above. However, after a second listen to a carefully broken in pair of 10.3, I'm not so sure I'd as heartily recommend one over the other.

Organic maple syrup with those waffles, please

Attachments

• 2014-07-22 08.25.30.jpg
    2014-07-22 08.25.30.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 1,404
  • 2014-07-22 08.27.00.jpg
    2014-07-22 08.27.00.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 2014-07-23 08.20.05.jpg
    2014-07-23 08.20.05.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
I'd be interesting in hearing how these compare to the Pensil as well (10p).

Edit: As for front or rear vent, does the choice affect speaker placement in any way, e.g. proximity to a wall? If so, then I would vote for the one that allows for the greatest range of placement options.

Last edited:
Phil, a guy can only afford to build so many enclosures with the same driver* -or space to store them - but if I can extrapolate on my experience with FH3 and Pensils with A7 and MAOP7, I'd reiterate my above post. :D

Which of course doesn't answer your question.

*actually, Dave or Bernie may well have a pair of Pensil10s kicking around, as well as the Brines M10A10 pipes.

Thanks Chris,

Yes, footprint is a constraint and really look forward to building the 10.3.

...currently working on a 10P bookshelf pair and using .5" bb ply as "substrate" clad in .5" solid mezquite and trying to figure out turquoise stone inlay for knots and cracks....my practice on mesquite scraps isn't going real well but we'll see.....

Mario

FF165 floorstanders

Although it'll be awhile before these are completed I thought I'd post a picture anyways. I built these with the port bottom firing and towards the front for something a little different. The baffle is solid 1 1/2" mahogany with 3/4" solid top the rest is MDX plywood ( 3 interior ply's of wood outer ply's of mdf )
Not sure why the picture got rotated but maybe Dave can fix?

Bernie

Attachments

• FF165-trapFS.jpg
    FF165-trapFS.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 786