• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mark Audio Alpair 10.x/FF165wk compact Floorstander Intro & Questions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Great news Dave!

I'm curious, I'd really like to try a fullrange driver with a ribbon tweeter at some point, would this design be a good template for that? Something like a Fountek NeoX 2.0?

I'm not so sure that a seemless integration could be had, and i don't personally find any of these drivers need a tweeter, but it is certainly doable and not something that has escaped my personal musings. I already have the ribbons. I'd be more inclined to look at the lower sensitivity, higher durability CSS RT1 (Bob currently only lists an RT2 -- i might just be confused with the model number).

It could be sat on top or mounted below

dave

I'm not so sure that a seemless integration could be had, and i don't personally find any of these drivers need a tweeter, but it is certainly doable and not something that has escaped my personal musings. I already have the ribbons. I'd be more inclined to look at the lower sensitivity, higher durability CSS RT1 (Bob currently only lists an RT2 -- i might just be confused with the model number).

It could be sat on top or mounted below
Agreed, I don't think the drivers need them either, but it could prove to be an interesting experiment. Who would I contact, or what program would I use, to figure out crossover values on such a project?

I like the design of these compact floorstanders and am looking for a speaker that will work well with my 5W SET amp (Tubelab SSE.) Right now I use it with a pair of FF105wk in the milliSize boxes backed up by a subwoofer. In my 20' x 16' room volume is not an issue, music genres are all over the map. I want my speakers to rock, I want my speakers to sing.

Out of the available driver options, A10P, A10.3, A11MS?, FF165wk, is there one that would be more suited to a 5W SE tube amp with the goal of playing everything well?

Thanks Chris,

Yes, footprint is a constraint and really look forward to building the 10.3.

...currently working on a 10P bookshelf pair and using .5" bb ply as "substrate" clad in .5" solid mezquite and trying to figure out turquoise stone inlay for knots and cracks....my practice on mesquite scraps isn't going real well but we'll see.....

Mario
Mario, do you use a vacuum bag process for doing thick solid wood veneer over BB ply? I have done this with 3/4 mdf and 0.25" thick cherry and QS old growth dog fir using Ultra-Cat adhesive.