• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

WoofT height?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

dave

I find post veneering far easier - helps hide the bondo ;) and other fixes that might be required to mitigate sloppy joinery / hasty assembly - or maybe I just find it therapeutic (and I certainly need all the non-pharmaceutical help I can get )

edit: the solid (Jatoba) end caps on the uFonken 85WK eliminated the issue with grain pattern wrapping on three ends per pair - I usually like to wrap the sides/top/bottoms contiguously, rather than the tops from front to back (of course it helps when the total wrapped perimeter is under 2438mm)

Last edited:
I'm motoring away with assembling the amplifer and xo's.

I've built a self contained volume, input selector and active xo enclosure and I should have the chip amp finished tomorrow ready to power the 4 Silver Flute drivers.

The wood is nearly all sliced up and ready to go however the timber merchants cut one piece short by 10mm so they're waiting for another sheet of ply to arrive in order to complete. They're worth the wait though, they cut to a 0.5mm tolerance and its always perfectly square which makes life easier during assembly.

Once assembled, I'll report back on how it sounds.

Woofer bracing panel? - probably not really necessary - and make sure that you can access inside boxes to adjust loose fill material after driver break-in and fine-tuning of system balance. I usually make the bottom panel removable (inset with gaskets if I want to get fancy) to allow for that - it'll be hidden if you want a furniture grade finish on the enclosures.

At sensible listening levels its already sounds fairly well integrated. The xo's I think are reducing the line level signal by quite a bit as the volume from the fr drivers is greatly reduced along with a slight reduction in detail in comparison to without the xo's. I'm not using a preamp though which may account for that.

I've put quite a bit of stuffing in the wooft's to tame them too. I think I may even need more but it'll start getting tight in there wiyh much more I believe.

I've been listening for a while now snd the results are pleasing. I realise now I didn't need much lf assistance over the bare alpair 7/mar-ken combo and subsequently I've had the wooft's turned a long way down compared to what they can deliver. They do integrate very well indeed to the point its very difficult to tell you're listening to 6 drivers in total.

The height is a problem. Its clear from the hot seat that they're high up with the sound coming down at you. Placing the mar-kens on their original stands with the wooft's next to them works well.

After all this I suspect I should have originally built a mar-ken with the new alpair 10 gen 3's which I presume would give more lf extension. Maybe with a nice high end tweeter to assist slightly...

WoofT/Triton MLTL helper with two CSS VWR126X

Hi there!

I have four VWR126X laying around and I´m thinking about doing a FAST.
Maybe I could use them insted of the Peerless 830870?
I also have a pair of the first enabled FE126E from Dave, so I´ll give it a try.
Another option is to go for the Triton MLTL and put the the two drivers one on each side.
Any feedback and ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Anders

View attachment Visio-wooft.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.