• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

WoofT height?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
2md order op-amps. Good Op-amps, you will need a very goodPS. May not sound as good as a much simplier PLLXO.

Advantages are no dependance on what your amps input impedance is, and leaves more versatility in drivers & placement.

Without being able to play around, i would set them to 120 Hz and take advantage of the higher order.

They are missing level controls (usually one of the reasons for the 1st or last op-amp stage). You will need attenuators on at least one of the power amps (as you would with a PLLXO)

dave

Due to cost I've been looking at the silver flute w14 or sb acoustic sb15-nrxc30-8.

SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8 Midwoofer

The Madisound Speaker Store

Xmas has put a squeeze on what I'm able (given permission) to spend. Both are available for very little.

Is front mounting appropriate for these?

I've been thinking about stuffing too. Whether lining the boxes, stuffing or a combo of the two. I guess if I make the back panel a screw on affair then I can experiment.

Lastly, have you a suggedtion for vent dimensions?

Thanks again for your help :)

isn't that a pair of W14s in the trapz MTMs? they certainly work quite well in the "ken" style vented enclosure - although those are modest enough size to not provide adequate height to act as a stand themselves, but something like the dual 830870s for FF85WK might work?

As pictured, approx 860mm for the woofT section, and with the upper enclosure inverted, the FF8WK was targeted to center at 1000mm

Attachments

• uFwoofT 005.jpg
    uFwoofT 005.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 156
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
isn't that a pair of W14s in the trapz MTMs? they certainly work quite well in the "ken" style vented enclosure - although those are modest enough size to not provide adequate height to act as a stand

Yes, theMTM is W14 + FF85. 2 W14s fit (approx) into the same size 'Ken enclosure as the dMar-Ken so they indeed do not make a very good stand.

... dual 830870s for FF85WK might work?

4 might work, but it would shred the budget.

dave

If they needed an enclosure similar in size to the mar-kens then I could extend the external dimensions and create a mass filled void under the W14 enclosure maybe?

This would allow the alpair to be placed at the correct height and give the whole thing some stabilty I guess.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.