• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mar-Ken 10.2 GR question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am planning to make these cabs and have some questions as I am a beginner in cab making.

1) Where can I get 12mm wool felt? I was googling. but could find anything of appropriate sizes...
2) Same with 15mm vent spacers? Here in US metric stuff is a hard to find :-(.
3) What should be the sequence of assembling the panels into a box? What goes first, second etc.

I will appreciate any help!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1) Where can I get 12mm wool felt? I was googling. but could find anything of appropriate sizes...

We use 12mm cotton felt which you can get from Bob at Creative Sound

Wool felt? McMaster Carr? Car upholstry guys? Old GM cars?

2) Same with 15mm vent spacers? Here in US metric stuff is a hard to find

Even here where we can regularily get 15mm material, the thickness needs adjusting because it is rarely exactly 15mm. MDF is often closer to true 15mm and this is a good use for it. And one could take solid and make it 15mm thick.

In the US, if you take calipers to 5/8" material much of it will actually turn out to be 15mm

And one could take 5/8" material (15.875mm) and increase the vent spacer width such that the vent cross-section area remains the same.

3) What should be the sequence of assembling the panels into a box? What goes first, second etc.

Chris?

dave

As to the material dimensions, Dave is correct - almost all plywood, whether imperial or metric, is really only "nominal" on the dimensions. Minor variations of fractions of mm (depending on how anal one is, 3/4" = 19.05mm, 5/8" = 15.875mm, 3/8"= 9.525mmm etc) probably aren't that significant in terms of performance, but can be a nuisance when programming for CNC routing of internal dadoes, or even rabbets on edges.

As to order of assembly - to be honest, after so many pairs of so many different designs, I probably don't even follow the same sequence every time myself :eek: , and to be honest, sometimes change parts dimensions as shown on his cut list to simply assembly sequence or overlay of parts.

PKI - feel free to PM me on that - I'll likely be offline for the remainder of the day.

if using Dave's stock drawings, be sure to thing about how you'll be finishing / covering the boxes, and whether you'd want all exposed plies on all 4 front edges (you will be using decent ply, I assume :D)

If not, you might want to resize the parts to fully inset the top, and half inset the bottom.

In any case, after a short review of the drawing for this one, I have a few thoughts that I could send by PM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.