• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I am planning to build this.
Can someone point to some reviews of the sound characteristic?
What are some of the parameters such as sensitivity, power handling, usable freq response and room placement requirements?
I am presently using an open baffled design, V2 from GR research and my music preference is vocal and natural tonality and harmonics .

thanks

kp93300

Hi dave,
Most of your customers use which type of drivers?
I noted that you mainly sell drivers from three companies? Any generic sound from each manufacturer ?
Which driver produce the most natural vocal ? and which one the best high ?
I can take care of the bass by using the powered subwoofer in my existing V2 speaker.
thanks

kp93300

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Most of your customers use which type of drivers?

A7.3eN & FE126eN2 are neck & neck with a splash of FF125wKeN & EL70eN.

I noted that you mainly sell drivers from three companies?

Mostly Fostex and Mark Audio. I try lots of drivers and choose the ones we feel are best.

Any generic sound from each manufacturer ?

Each series seems to have there own character.

Which driver produce the most natural vocal ? and which one the best high ?

A7.3eN would be my choice. They also have good bass. Assumming appropriate amplifiction.

dave

A vote from another member of the P10 team for the A7.3 in the FH3 - as Dave notes with "appropriate" amplification. I've yet to hear a 8-15w tube amp with these that I didn't like, but they'll be ruthless in revealing the deficiencies of cheap digital amps ( grain, lack of inner depth / detail and "3D"), as well as qualities of recordings and file formats.

While Bob Brines will never likely hear the FH3, he does have lots of experience with the A7s and highly recommends the Topping TP60, which is still a raging bargain (one could spend far more on boutique glass for a small PP EL84 amp ;))

My main speakers have become the FH3 with Alpair7.3.
My amp is a diy class A - Pass Aleph 2
The speaker is very revealing, that's the purpose of our hobby. However, source material, amplification, cables, etc. and room all come into the equation.

The FH3 is a special speaker and the A7.3 a special driver. The combination makes for a very clear upper and mid and an amazing amount of bass from such a little speaker.

Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:
My main speakers have become the FH3 with Alpair7.3.
My amp is a diy class A - Pass Aleph 2
The speaker is very revealing, that's the purpose of our hobby. However, source material, amplification, cables, etc. and room all come into the equation.

indeed

The FH3 is a special speaker and the A7.3 a special driver. The combination makes for a very clear upper and mid and an amazing amount of bass from such a little speaker.

Just my 2 cents..
for something really special / rare, try the MAOP7s - so incredibly neutral that at first listen you wonder what's missing when compared you say an FE126E

Hi All
Thanks for the input.
I have DOZ , F5, Alejh J and several class T amps fromm 41 Hz. . One of these should fit the bill.
I am trying to decide between Alpair 7.3 and 10.3.
The Pensil speaker are easier to diy than FH 3? I have to engage a local carpenter for these.
I like the fact in Pensil 10.3 , the speaker is at ear levl in my listerning chair.
regards
kp93300

Hi All
Thanks for the input.
I have DOZ , F5, Alejh J and several class T amps fromm 41 Hz. . One of these should fit the bill.
I am trying to decide between Alpair 7.3 and 10.3.
The Pensil speaker are easier to diy than FH 3? I have to engage a local carpenter for these.
most would consider that to be be case - all panels are straight forward 90dg cuts on the Pensils, while there are lots of 5dg bevels on the FH3

FWIW, I find dadoes/rabbets to be quite helpful on assembly/alignment on either enclosure, as well of course the ability to provide much more glue surface area and structural rigidity than simple butt joints- even with biscuits or dowels. Of course lock mitres are great too, but do require 2 separate careful setups for perfect alignment of each joint.

I like the fact in Pensil 10.3 , the speaker is at ear level in my listening chair.
regards
kp93300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.