• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

FF85WK uFonken vs. Bass Reflex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I am ready to order the goods for my first build. I want to make something small and simple using the Fostex FF85WK in either the Fostex-designed bass-reflex (3.5 liter) or the uFonken (2.2 liter?). Both enclosures do not look too difficult to make.

Could someone please let me know how different the two enclosure types would sound? Thank you,

Rick

Hello All,

I am ready to order the goods for my first build. I want to make something small and simple using the Fostex FF85WK in either the Fostex-designed bass-reflex (3.5 liter) or the uFonken (2.2 liter?). Both enclosures do not look too difficult to make.

Could someone please let me know how different the two enclosure types would sound? Thank you,

Rick

they're so small that you could likely build both from a single sheet or even offcuts, and report back to the class? ;)

use good plywood, or if you're confident, solids like knot free pine, walnut, mahogany, etc not MDF

A few years back I built two pairs of small vented enclosures for FE127E - identical in volume and tuning frequency; one with standard round port, and the other with narrow slot vents (which in small enclosures are easily incorporated into bracing scheme)

The standard BR had more pronounced lump in the frequency response, while the slotted design was leaner in that area, but had more definition (I like to use the term articulation), and extended deeper and more smoothly. The latter design became the template for what Dave now refers to as the "milli & micro" series - with adjustments in CSA and depth of slot vent, including the use of filler/spacers, this topology easily allows for a wide range of adjustment for different driver's T/S parameters.

If you'd like more of a fabrication challenge, look at the trapezoids - the FF85Wk in these are quite a surprise for a lot of folks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the Fostex-designed bass-reflex (3.5 liter)

A simulation of the factory BR is not encouraging, but not the "cruel joke (jw)" that the FE126En factory BR is.

The uFonken is 2 litre, the uFonkenSET 2.5 litre

dave

Attachments

• fostex-FF85wl-BR-sim.gif
    fostex-FF85wl-BR-sim.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,465
Chris and Dave

Thanks for the replies. Fonkens also look a lot cooler than the Fostex
BR.

What driver is the uFonkenSET for and how do I get plans? Thank you,

Rick

FF85WK - email Dave

if you do proceed with the build - PM me for some fabrication suggestions - I've built more than a couple of pairs of virtually every Fonken design out there

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Last edited:
Chris' uFonkenSET look so good that if you didn't feel like listening to music you could just look at them. Now I have some ideas for those slabs of black walnut I stuck in the attic.

I figure I'll start with the standard uFonken (in plywood) then maybe try something more exotic (and bigger). I kind of like the FX120 - Is that a Fonken-Steen? Thanks,

Rick

Chris' uFonkenSET look so good that if you didn't feel like listening to music you could just look at them. Now I have some ideas for those slabs of black walnut I stuck in the attic.

I figure I'll start with the standard uFonken (in plywood) then maybe try something more exotic (and bigger). I kind of like the FX120 - Is that a Fonken-Steen? Thanks,

Rick

while I'm the surprised recipient and happy host of the walnut beauties ( I'm enjoying the continuing offgassing of their rubbed oil finish as I type this), credit for their fabrication and all the solid wood boxes pictured throughout this forum goes to Bernie

Fonkensteen/(stein) was my nickname for the much larger enclosure for the F120A drivers originally commissioned several years ago for Jim Rebman. I did manage to hold them hostage for a while before shipping them off, and there's definitely something beguiling about the combination of an Alnico FR driver by engineers with the experience such as the Fostex crew and a dialed-in and lean DHT amp ( Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 in my case) - but I digress and reminisce too much.

IIRC the ceramic magnet FX120 can work in a smaller volume, but as much as we try neither Jeff, Bernie nor I have the time to build every variation that Dave can imaginate - which is a whole lotta enclosures

Chris - you mentioned being able to make both speakers from a single sheet or offcuts. I've approximated the area for the all the pieces required and it looks like a 2' x 4' sheet would be more than enough. Does that sound correct?

Thanks,

Rick

yup, these are not huge boxes - I'm so often cutting for multiple pairs of kits for the smaller designs or using offcuts that I can't remember the breakout for a single pair

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I went ahead and did the drawing. With no trim allowance, & a 5mm kerf you can get 1 pair out of a 251mm sreip 1314mm long. So with care you should be able to get 2 pair out of a 24" x 48" panel of 12mm.

So you might be able to get 6 pair out of a 5x5 sheet with careful optimization. Close enuff that less trim allowance, and a smaller kerf might make the difference.

dave

I went ahead and did the drawing. With no trim allowance, & a 5mm kerf you can get 1 pair out of a 251mm sreip 1314mm long. So with care you should be able to get 2 pair out of a 24" x 48" panel of 12mm.

So you might be able to get 6 pair out of a 5x5 sheet with careful optimization. Close enuff that less trim allowance, and a smaller kerf might make the difference.

dave

when cutting this quantity of parts on the big beam saw, we need to allow 5mm kerf for the main blade, and 10mm trim cuts, but I'm sure there was still a little left over from the 5 pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.