• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The P10-hifi web site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fair enough - stay on your meds :rolleyes:

Fakeout is being a touch odd/guarded in his criticism of the store and I know the comment wasn't aimed at me, but I some of us do need meds so we don't flip out. A bit harsh maybe?

Anywhooo thats not really important. Dave/Chris, I love all the sites including the commercial one. If you change it and make the layout more traditional/boring I wont be able to find anything! Its pretty straight forward but still has the personal non-glitzy commercial feel that makes it look like an enthusiasts page - which it is. Just like this site its 'speakers/drivers by fanatics, for fanatics'.

Once pages become too slick they look like they contain no information because everything is immediately at hand. The joy if looking around (as if a shop) is removed

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Combinations of dot colours and cone colours are very added value when I consider your product.

Yes, a very nice side effect from the modification process, I was very pleased to find that there is some latitude for colour with the A6P, and FFxx5wk (the grey is an additional layer, the cones are white on the backside.

dave

Well, I'd like to make one suggestion. It would be to have a page where it says: "Free plans" then a list under according to whatever criteria like dimensions, brand of drivers...

As usual, I found it was pointless to even make a comment that the site was "weird". Because then I was asked to comment and once I did, my comments were misinterpreted as bashing then told I needed meds...:dead:

No one said you were bashing. The comments were more along the lines that you wanted a lot from a (very) small business that made a tremendous amount free material and information available to the community, because you wanted everything handed to you.

Whether true or not, ungrateful and lazy are words that come to mind. Then, in response to a simple, genuine request, you chose not to give your name. You were the one that said you could be calm for months then flip out. What does that sound like? You could have simply said you'd rather not give your name, given just a first name, or made something up.

You started the whole thing by coming out of nowhere (OT) in a thread with "why isn't your site like and Amazon store?" That question could easily be handled with a PM. See my first paragraph.

Finally, the section that says "Box Plan Library", that also lets you go straight to plans for a given manufacturer isn't enough? See my first paragraph.

Well, I'd like to make one suggestion. It would be to have a page where it says: "Free plans" then a list under according to whatever criteria like dimensions, brand of drivers...

As usual, I found it was pointless to even make a comment that the site was "weird". Because then I was asked to comment and once I did, my comments were misinterpreted as bashing then told I needed meds...:dead:

I dunno, I kind of agree with Fakeout. As a potential future customer I find the Planet_10 hifi site hard to use. I fully understand that the site has evolved to it's current state over time and that the formatting isn't the primary goal (especially true for small businesses).

Here are some suggestions based off my use of the site:
Some links in the pricing page just redirect to a generic listing of products while others go to a product specific page. I would prefer a page per product even if it's just a single photo and the price.

Part of my problem is that I don't know what I want. A product finder would be hugely helpful. It doesn't need to be fancy or complicated, just a few guidelines could be offered (e.g. in my case what works well for a SET Tube amp @ 8W in a large room with a powered sub). I don't know what size speaker I want 4", 8", 120mm? What are the general characteristics of each?

I am planning on DIY building an enclosure for my new speakers. It would be awesome if each speaker page had a link and some photos of applicable plans. I realize that some of this is proprietary, but a simple thumbnail would be enough. It is hard to match drivers to enclosures in the current site.

I think a succinct definition of EnABL should be in large print and on the first page. To a noobie, this is a confusing topic and getting a definition out of the monster thread on DIYAudio is next to impossible.

I know that sometimes suggestions can sound like criticism. Please don't take me that way! I truly want to help Planet_10's site to be better. I also know that someone will point out that I could 'Simply read the forums for all this information'. While yes, that is true, I simply do not have time to read the gory details on every single thread. I am looking for speakers, whether they be Full Range, EnABL'd, Planar, Back Loaded, Quarter Wave, or whatever.

Thanks!
--Dale

I dunno, I kind of agree with Fakeout. As a potential future customer I find the Planet_10 hifi site hard to use. I fully understand that the site has evolved to it's current state over time and that the formatting isn't the primary goal (especially true for small businesses).

Here are some suggestions based off my use of the site:
Some links in the pricing page just redirect to a generic listing of products while others go to a product specific page. I would prefer a page per product even if it's just a single photo and the price.

Part of my problem is that I don't know what I want.
therein lies the rub for a lot of us :D

A product finder would be hugely helpful. It doesn't need to be fancy or complicated, just a few guidelines could be offered (e.g. in my case what works well for a SET Tube amp @ 8W in a large room with a powered sub). I don't know what size speaker I want 4", 8", 120mm? What are the general characteristics of each?
In addition to the standard questions of "roomsize / listening tastes/habits/ electronics" (several of which you've answered), is the fact that the general characteristics of each size class / cone material / etc etc, is that there can be more sonic differences between them than similarities - sooner or later you need to test your own taste. All the pretty printed specs and anecdotal impressions of others can't predict what will "work" for you; the first time at least - eventually you might think your experience will allow for individual intuition to develop - but of course that will frequently be disproved when you listen without bias - which even for professional reviewers is much harder than it sounds.

I am planning on DIY building an enclosure for my new speakers. It would be awesome if each speaker page had a link and some photos of applicable plans. I realize that some of this is proprietary, but a simple thumbnail would be enough. It is hard to match drivers to enclosures in the current site.
good suggestions

I think a succinct definition of EnABL should be in large print and on the first page. To a noobie, this is a confusing topic and getting a definition out of the monster thread on DIYAudio is next to impossible.
good luck with that - even among folks who've tried to ignore the noisy discussion and just listened to treated drivers, there's no overwhelming consensus at to what differences they're hearing - some profess none at all, while others (myself among them) identify greatly enhanced inner detail, timing and rhythmic coherency, and depth of soundstage

I know that sometimes suggestions can sound like criticism. Please don't take me that way! I truly want to help Planet_10's site to be better. I also know that someone will point out that I could 'Simply read the forums for all this information'. While yes, that is true, I simply do not have time to read the gory details on every single thread. I am looking for speakers, whether they be Full Range, EnABL'd, Planar, Back Loaded, Quarter Wave, or whatever.

Thanks!
--Dale
nothing wrong with "constructive critique" - how far could any of us advance without it? - but when it gets vituperative/destructive, then everyone loses

If I understand what you wrote - you plan to separate the DIY stuff from the commercial stuff ? - this is a very good idea indeed. It will allow you to optimize them separately to do what each does best and avoid any 'conflict of interest' questions from people.

I can certainly appreciate the problems on the public sections of forums such as this, but out of curiosity, how can there be conflict of interest in the commercial sections or moreover a personal site?

The mix of freely available plans as well as products for sale is a really great thing to me. It's what got me looking at the Planet 10 site and then eventually buying a plan set after making one of the free designs. David also puts on a community event each year where people can show off what they've made, talk about the hobby, etc. I don't think there's any line that can be drawn between his personal and commercial stuff when it comes to speakers and audio.

I appreciate all the work Dave does and puts out there for people like me to build on. I get a bit galled when someone complains about what the website looks like or it's contents!

Kyle

I can certainly appreciate the problems on the public sections of forums such as this, but out of curiosity, how can there be conflict of interest in the commercial sections or moreover a personal site?

I was just commenting in general about websites, I was not commenting about forums at all. At least I thought that was the question being asked - about web sites.

Dave,

I'm excited you decided to streamline the site. As someone who is a recording engineer, and looking to build some single driver speakers for both my studio, and my living room; I found being a newbie trying to get info off of your site extremely difficult.

I'm sure it is a PITA right now, but I'd like to give you some encouragement, and assure you that having a simpler, easier to navigate site will bring more enthusiasts into the fold.

Thanks for the hard work.

-Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.