• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Bussy bilding pensil 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! After a week in Hong Kong and back I am bussy to bild a set of pensil 12's. The first thing I did was starting up the unit's so that they get used of me en i of them. Even in ther carton boxes they are loud, (SPLo 89.3). Not a suppice, but now i have a small problem. When i use the old set, Newform Ribbons, (86 db/1w) the vollume is on half. I have a diy Hypex 180 HD amp. Can somebody give me advice what kind of resistor i must use to work with the Alpair's?
By the way, I you are in Hong Kong, vissit Mark. He is a verry special person, not only because he is a speaker builder, but also as a person!
I was verry, verry inpressed by the Alpair 6. When heard musik i did not knew with speakers I was lisening to, it were the "6". Pitty (for me) that i needded a speaker for more vollume. I like to listen oudside in the garden. (I live in South Africa, no neihgbours.. jippy!)

Hello Joost,
Great to meet you and the good lady in HK. Many thanks for you recent email. Hope to catch up with you via email in the coming days.

I have some 10 watt 4 ohm and 8 ohm resistors. Let me know if you want some for experimentation.

I'd suggest try running the Alp12's without the ribbons. Their mid high range is good enough for most music without the need for tweets.

Cheers
Mark.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your advice. But I do not intend to combine the alpair's with the ribbons. I only wanted to make clear that the Alpais make more sound pressure. Even in the boxes, see picture.
After some surfing i wonder what is better, to use a resistor before the amp, or after the amp. I made the amp only with a source selector and a passive vollume control, see also the pictue.
The cabinets have now the trird under coat, I used MDF becouse over here I can not find proper eco wood. And to use a old table became to expensive.
The units did now already 120 hours!

Stay well, Joost. 100_7712.JPG

100_7713.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.