• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently built a Mar-Ken 7.3. These are not for myself, but for forum member Banglacx. However making sure that I get a good listen before he takes them away.

So how do they sound? The Alpair 7.3 is stunningly revealing, but not harsh or cold in any way. The top end is very transparent, but very smooth. As Buzzforb mentioned in one of his threads, there is a lot airiness; I was surprsied at first, but did not find it unpleasant... and wow, can it handle complex music. It sounds like everything on the track - instruments, effects, vocals play together without getting in one another's way. The imaging in the Planet10 'Ken cabinets is spooky good. And the speakers do a commendable job in filling up a room with sound - I've tried in ~300 sq ft and at 70-80 dB it sounds really nice. The tonal characteristics are consistent with the Alpair family (I have the A12), maybe just a tiny bit warmer.

Well recorded tracks sound stellar. Thin recordings don't get flattered, but didn't sound particularly unpleasant. The Alpair 7.3s are very musical and can definitely give that "one more track" feeling. The LF generated for a 4 inch cone is impressive, but a bigger cone will give more bass weight. Also a bigger cabinet in this regard,

I've been listening to these for the better part of the last 2 weeks and finding these very addictive. I've used 3 tube amps, a Dayton Tripath, and an ICE Power amp - the A 7.3 works with all of them nicely, but to me, the higher wattage amps yielded better results, specially in bass authority.

As expected jazz and acoustic stuff plays really well on these. Tried some Enya - sounded very good, and my brother who had come over ended up listening the whole album. Again the clarity, separation, and imaging is exceptional - and with electronic music with lot of layers like Madonna's Ray of Light, the performance surprised us - all the music, noise/effects played together without sounding congested or confused. It is the same witht Jaytech's Anjunadeep progressive house/trance - the complexities are handled with ease and nuances are so noticeable - it's fun to hear so many sounds and how the DJ's arranged it all. It's like extra layers of music being exposed. Yes, LF weight can be improved upon but for a 4 inch driver in a small box - it's definitely impressive. And quality of the bass is tight and detailed. Bass articulation is a strong point of the P10 Ken cabs and the Mar-Ken 7.3 delivers. For me ~75 dB was plenty loud - with these speakers I didn't have to crank up really loud to enjoy the music.

My wife has complimented on how good these sound on multiple occasions, which is uncommon :). If anything, she would have a negative bias towards the Mar-Kens, as it took me a lot of time to build and finish these.

If put into a good FAST system (as other members are already doing), the total package will be hard to beat on any genre of music at any SPL IMHO. I am planning to experiment over the weekend.

Too bad that Banglacx also collects these at the end of the weekend. So until then, I'll enjoy the music with these! :)

-Zia

Attachments

• MarKen73.jpg
    MarKen73.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,824
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx for the review... helps keep me sane, knowing others hear what i (we) hear... after all how could it only be a single 4" driver :D

Too bad that Banglacx also collects these at the end of the weekend. So until then, I'll enjoy the music with these! :)

Sounds like Zia's Speaker Emporium UnLtd needs to move out some old-stock to make way for some new projects... maybe the nT version

dMarKen73t-3dX.gif

There will also be accompanying WoofTs with each one (to make an elegant FAST)... only one designed (not tested yet) is that for the uFonkenSET

uFonkenSET-wWoofT-gsX.gif

dave

PS: imagining on stock drivers is much less 2D than most other drivers, but flat compared to a treated set :D

Don, Dave, Jimbro, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Dave, I owe you a speaker emporium "logo" of sorts in Bangla font :) - will close on that shortly. Was too engrossed in 3 builds - Mar-Ken 7.3, FH Mk3 with removable SB, Lotus^2 - haven't touched much else in my spare time. And yes, then auditioning the Mar-Ken 7.3... :D.

The T versions look smart - the one above - you say it's a uFonkenSET - based on Fostex 3" drivers? What woofers for the FAST? BTW, do the Ts sound even better than the standard Ken or benefits are mostly aesthetic?

-Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Are these smaller than current rectangular version?

They are larger. Both because of the side vents and because they start with a base 2.5 litre vrs 2 litre.

attachment.php

The original next to my Yew ones (no drivers yet -- i might have to do orange spots)

A picture here of Bernie's Locust pair. His drivers will be getting glow in the dark spots (the locust is supposed to glow under black light)

dave

Attachments

• uFonken-SE-v-reg.jpg
    uFonken-SE-v-reg.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3,741
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The T versions look smart - the one above - you say it's a uFonkenSET - based on Fostex 3" drivers? What woofers for the FAST? BTW, do the Ts sound even better than the standard Ken or benefits are mostly aesthetic?

The top visualization is that for the dMar-Ken7.3T. The bottom with WoofT is the one for the FF85wk. The woofT will use 2 Peerless 4" woofers (largest one that would fit) or 2 Dayton for the price consious. In this case it is an ML-TL and models F10 in the mid 30s.

The T versions (so far) do sound better. It is subtle thou.

dave

Thanks Dave, sorry for the dumb question, night shifts kill thinking. Looking at your drawings in post 3 it's obvious that I would need 4. How do I subscribe to your plan thingys, I have an intergrated Earl Weston KT88 SET amp and Adcom amp, could they be used without too much drama to run this setup.? Electrical stuff does my head in, I can cut wood though.

Regards, Derek.

clarity

That is already a known... but the world is down to almost no non-captive SDX7. If you have some, it would make a killer system.

dave

Thanks Dave. I am new at this and there is many things I don't know. I saw the SDX7 on the CSS site for $100. At this point, I appologize and can only seem to assume the obvious and ask sub-intelligent questions.

I am excited and trying to figure out what my first purchase and buld should be. I am trying to figure out if an EL70eN or an A7.3eN would compliment 1 or 2 SDx7's per side.

From what I read on the forum so far about FAST systems, it seems that the FR can either go in a separate KenT or a small mid TL eperiodic as in Tysen variants.

I am also scratching my head over the SDX7 enclosure. It seems to really like a small sealed but I also read that Digeridoo implemented it in a small aperiodic. I guessed that his design is closer to a FR where the back wave is absorbed rather than adding stiffness.

I am looking for clarity from anyone who has been down this road before. Am I even close to seeing this correctly?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I saw the SDX7 on the CSS site for $100

Well worth grabbing 2 or 4 while you can, especially if small & simple fit your needs. The ones Bob has need the simple treatment at a minimum, but that is a dead easy mod. I have a stash, but don't know how many left-overs after i fill all the holes i need to fill... and am not moving any stock ones out until i've pulled out 3 matched quads for my own use (and a set of 4 for Bud)

no apologies please, the only sub-intelligent question asked is the one not-asked.

I am trying to figure out if an EL70eN or an A7.3eN would compliment 1 or 2 SDx7's per side.

How big is your room? What kind of amps? A7.3eN is a better driver on an absolute scale, but EL70eN is likely better value for the money (and more forgiving of ancillaries). Better bass from the EL70 won't play a role in a FAST.

From what I read on the forum so far about FAST systems, it seems that the FR can either go in a separate KenT or a small mid TL eperiodic as in Tysen variants.

Or in a sealed box or an OB or ...

I am also scratching my head over the SDX7 enclosure. It seems to really like a small sealed but I also read that Digeridoo implemented it in a small aperiodic.

I like using them in 14-21 litre sealed (net when you consider the virtual volume increase of the damping material) althou, in theory, you could stuff one into a box as small as 3.5 litre.

The push-push box that Bud has, and that has been getting glowing reviews from all who hear them (including some luminaries), started out as a (too small) TL, but ended up aperiodic (about 14 litre/driver), as the XBL drivers give no warning before running out of room to run and make a "disturbing" sound when they hit the back-plate. They do need some increasing air pressure inside the box to give the driver some compliance stiffness as it approaches the limit. I like sealed as one can add a bit of boost at about 25 hz and get them to go quite low.

It will be interesting to play with the SDX8 when they get made (imagine SDX7 crossed with Trio8)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looking at your drawings in post 3 it's obvious that I would need 4. How do I subscribe to your plan thingys,

Derek,

I do like to use a pair of woofers in any woofer cabinet, as i can then take advantage of push-push loading to greatly minimize the reactive load on the box (making the job the box has too do easier). I'll often use a smaller woofer or a less expensive one to allow this.

But sometimes there is only room for (volume or budget) only one.

A killer woofer on a budget is the CSS EL166/Mark Audio No6. I will be exploring a range of woofers for the WoofTs as they are developed, we looked at a couple dozen for the one for the uFonkenSET.

Email me re the plansets, i can answer any questions and send you the boilerplate of what your subscription offers.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.