• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mark! I have smaller room that is about 3x4m! Do you sugest to build a BR. bookshelf box or pencil 7.3 for smaller rooms! Would the bass bee more corect with BR. box? I mean it wont be too much bass with pencil design in smaller rooms?

Hi Murio,
We also have a small living space similar to yours. For the last 2 years, we've used a pair of Pensil 7's with much pleasure. I've added a little extra damping in these cabs due to the small space, this adjustability is vey useful. See this thread:

Equally, I've used Alpair 7 BR cabs with success in the same living space. Dave's smaller Alp7 box designs are very much worth checking out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/198892-mar-ken-alpair-7-3-a.html

I personally find the Pensils very pleasing and practical, being slim they occupy a small footprint so they fit in with the rest of the furniture.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
I have just finished a build of the dmar-Ken7.3 speakers for a guy who wanted a small pair of speakers to take with him on his travels so he can have something decent to listen to in his hotel room of nights.

Here's a couple of photos of them. They are finished in Ziricote veneer.

dMarKen03.JPG

dMarKen04.JPG

Interesting choice of finishing, I don't think I've seen this being done with the Mar-Ken's before.

How much do they weigh? You'd also need a flight case for that. I fly cattle class and usually get 20 KG. Thinking about the practicality of carrying them around. You'd also need wall support for decent SQ.

I have just finished a build of the dmar-Ken7.3 speakers for a guy who wanted a small pair of speakers to take with him on his travels so he can have something decent to listen to in his hotel room of nights.

The choice of veneer was what the 'client wanted from the 20-odd samples of veneer I have available to me. Of all the finishes I tried Liberon Finishing Oil gave the most pleasing results.

Each speaker weighs just under 7kgs.

Yes some form of carry case is in the pipeline. Not sure yet what this will be. The main purpose of this is just to protect the speakers from damage during transit. If we can source some cheap(ish) aluminium flight cases suitably lined then fine. If not some bespoke thin ply cases with handles and suitable lining will be fabricated to size.

I don't think these are intended for International flight travel. Just travel, with overnight stays, in the UK. So they will be travelling in the boot of his car.

Last edited:
The choice of veneer was what the 'client wanted from the 20-odd samples of veneer I have available to me. Of all the finishes I tried Liberon Finishing Oil gave the most pleasing results.

Each speaker weighs just under 7kgs.

Yes some form of carry case is in the pipeline. Not sure yet what this will be. The main purpose of this is just to protect the speakers from damage during transit. If we can source some cheap(ish) aluminium flight cases suitably lined then fine. If not some bespoke thin ply cases with handles and suitable lining will be fabricated to size.

I don't think these are intended for International flight travel. Just travel, with overnight stays, in the UK. So they will be travelling in the boot of his car.

Colin - speaking from experience - if the owner is the only one handling them, then a light duty plywood box would be fine - if not, nothing short of a Pelican or similar case would suffice.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Colin - speaking from experience - if the owner is the only one handling them, then a light duty plywood box would be fine - if not, nothing short of a Pelican or similar case would suffice.

What Chris says. The design i've done is for simple handling. USPS exploded our build (someone in Ottawa will hopefully walk away with a 1st class, but slightly scared set of dMar-Ken7). We now have full on (home built) anvil cases with metal edge & corner reinforcement and 2x the latches.

one for 4 x milliSize, and one for 4 x deciSized.

A couple pelican cases, 1 for each would be very practical (and 1 for the iPod + amp)

dave

Dave/Chrisb,

As far as I know they will only be handled by Ali himself. So the sort of case you are describing seems to fit the bill.

I'll email you regards plans availability. Can't see any benefit in re-inventing the wheel if a suitable working and fit for purpose design exits.

I know what you mean about shipping containers. I now make up a wooden box for all my builds that are shipped by courier. And even then one courier managed to destroy one my wooden containers. I must admit though to only nailing on the sides (6mm MDF) to the 15mm MDF around frame on that one for a FH3 kit and now only ever make up a shipping crate that is screwed and glued together with all edges reinforced with gaffa tape.

Last edited:
What Chris says. The design i've done is for simple handling. USPS exploded our build (someone in Ottawa will hopefully walk away with a 1st class, but slightly scared set of dMar-Ken7). We now have full on (home built) anvil cases with metal edge & corner reinforcement and 2x the latches.

one for 4 x milliSize, and one for 4 x deciSized.

A couple pelican cases, 1 for each would be very practical (and 1 for the iPod + amp)

dave

at least I garnered more practice working with the bamboo plywood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.