Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 21st October 2011, 07:45 AM   #21
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Though it might be a bit large for the WoofT design, the Peerless SLS 8" driver (830667) looks like a good match.
After settling on the little Peerless for the baby WoofT, the Peerless units are on the must check list. Reasonable prices, and they seem to get kudos from many. It doesn't hurt that the trimmed baskets have always appealed to me.

dave
Old 21st October 2011, 09:41 PM   #22
buzzforb is offline buzzforb  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave, Have you looked at the Seas ER18. Very good from what i hear and has lots of travel to play with to push LF output.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:09 PM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
I will be looking at a wide range of drivers... looks like a 6 1/2" unit will be as large as i can go, althou in the larger ones i could maybe use 4.

dave
Old 21st October 2011, 10:37 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I may try a dual version. It is very well regarded by everyone who has used it and is very inexpensive.
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:24 PM   #25
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Hi,

Just out of an extensive session of FAST experimentation with Banglacx. He had this idea of using the Foobar digital XO plugin for our project, and wow did that work.

In short, FAST works very well in adding that low end authority to the superb Alp 7.3s. Sound stage becomes bigger, taller and playing bass heavy music at much louder levels no longer remains a threat to the FR unit. We were at it for >5 hours and now need a break . Will post details soon.

-Zia

p.s. The Mar-Ken 7.3s have left the building
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:27 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Just out of an extensive session of FAST experimentation... and wow did that work.
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I thought it would improve things significantly.
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:14 PM   #28
banglacx is offline banglacx
diyAudio Member

*sneak preview*

By itself, the Mar-ken-7.3s can sound anything from a club grade unit armed with a subwoofer producing PHAT bass to something that'd make you want to assault Dave with a cutlass / violin fiddle / whatever comes handy. These speakers are very, very room / placement dependent. For anyone wanting to use them in a nearfield mini-monitor configuration with a lot of space between them and the wall - you're in for big trouble. Place them close to a wall and put some distance between you and the units... well, this is the best configuration you can get with the Alpair 7.3s. Trust me on this - me and zman01 has tried several design implementations.

As for the F.A.S.T. - zman01 will post the listening impressions with configuration details... and of course, pics. I'll chip in with my comments after he does.
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:20 PM   #29
markaudio is offline markaudio  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglacx View Post
*sneak preview*

By itself, the Mar-ken-7.3s can sound anything from a club grade unit armed with a subwoofer producing PHAT bass to something that'd make you want to assault Dave with a cutlass / violin fiddle / whatever comes handy. These speakers are very, very room / placement dependent. For anyone wanting to use them in a nearfield mini-monitor configuration with a lot of space between them and the wall - you're in for big trouble. Place them close to a wall and put some distance between you and the units... well, this is the best configuration you can get with the Alpair 7.3s. Trust me on this - me and zman01 has tried several design implementations.

As for the F.A.S.T. - zman01 will post the listening impressions with configuration details... and of course, pics. I'll chip in with my comments after he does.
Hi Banglacx,
Have you tried other rooms?

When I listened to Dave's Mar'Ken at Tony's place, I was pleasantly surprised by their performance in a high ceiling but narrow(ish) room environment when other systems haven't coped quite so well.

It maybe you have some particular or unique characteristics specific to your room thats impacting on the system.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:01 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I have listened to the 7's for a couple of weeks now in a 16' x 16' room that is open on one side. Pushed against the wall, the bass is pretty good if not respectable. Unfortunately, other facets suffer as a result. When pulled out into my room 3', about 7'-8' apart with me sitting 3' from the rear wall, the bass is pretty lacking. In this setup, however, the speakers sound phenomenal otherwise. I believe that yours and Zman's findings are in line with what i would expect and what i have found with this speaker in the MarKen enclosure. I believe the Pensil would help, but the best chance at bigger sound would come from one of Scottmoose' large enclosures. Any of these are setups i believe are really asking more from this size FR unit than it is IDEALLY suited to deliver. The MarKens and A7's deliver everything Dave and Mark said should be expected, and would probably be fine in a 10' x 10' room like Steven Z has, but we must not forget that this is a 4.5" driver and in a large room like mine, they are fighting an uphill battle. It is not a deficiency, but physics. Relieve it of its LF responsiblities at about 100-180Hz and listen to this angel sing. I had a chance to do this momentarily with a simple sub and could not have been more pleased. I will be working on FAST system as soon as I finish a couple of amps. If it performs as expected, this may be a stopiing point for me for quite some time. They are that good.

Last edited by buzzforb; 23rd October 2011 at 12:03 AM.

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3Hide this!Advertise here!