Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 21st October 2011, 02:14 AM   #11
SplittingAtom is offline SplittingAtom  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps a Mar-KenT 7.3 or a Mar-KEL70T coupled with a WoofT accomodating SDX7's might be the hot setup. Thoughts?
Old 21st October 2011, 03:04 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplittingAtom View Post
Perhaps a Mar-KenT 7.3 or a Mar-KEL70T coupled with a WoofT accomodating SDX7's might be the hot setup. Thoughts?
That is already a known... but the world is down to almost no non-captive SDX7. If you have some, it would make a killer system.

dave
Old 21st October 2011, 03:27 AM   #13
arny1 is offline arny1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dave, would you need 4 SDX7's with Alpair12's to do a FAST system.? I'm thinking of your MAR-KEN12t ? and woofst. I have the A12s but $600 bucks for drivers is a stretch.
Old 21st October 2011, 03:37 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
2/per side would do fine. 1 per side is what i'm currently using for helpers. With my big room a pair per side is a benefit. I'm going to try 4/side soon. With the larger box, and the fact that the 12s will go lower and still retain the dynamics you might consider a Trio8 per side (darcher still has some i believe)

dave
Old 21st October 2011, 03:50 AM   #15
arny1 is offline arny1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, sorry for the dumb question, night shifts kill thinking. Looking at your drawings in post 3 it's obvious that I would need 4. How do I subscribe to your plan thingys, I have an intergrated Earl Weston KT88 SET amp and Adcom amp, could they be used without too much drama to run this setup.? Electrical stuff does my head in, I can cut wood though.

Regards, Derek.
Old 21st October 2011, 04:00 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
...you might consider a Trio8 per side
Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3-trio8-widet-gif

But upon checking, it will be a VERY tight fit, if one wants to maintain the footprint. (and that is ignoring the available volume)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif trio8-in-wideT.gif (35.6 KB, 1425 views)
Old 21st October 2011, 05:02 AM   #17
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Though it might be a bit large for the WoofT design, the Peerless SLS 8" driver (830667) looks like a good match. And, no, I don't work for Peerless
Old 21st October 2011, 06:30 AM   #18
SplittingAtom is offline SplittingAtom  United States
diyAudio Member

Default clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That is already a known... but the world is down to almost no non-captive SDX7. If you have some, it would make a killer system.

dave
Thanks Dave. I am new at this and there is many things I don't know. I saw the SDX7 on the CSS site for $100. At this point, I appologize and can only seem to assume the obvious and ask sub-intelligent questions.

I am excited and trying to figure out what my first purchase and buld should be. I am trying to figure out if an EL70eN or an A7.3eN would compliment 1 or 2 SDx7's per side.

From what I read on the forum so far about FAST systems, it seems that the FR can either go in a separate KenT or a small mid TL eperiodic as in Tysen variants.

I am also scratching my head over the SDX7 enclosure. It seems to really like a small sealed but I also read that Digeridoo implemented it in a small aperiodic. I guessed that his design is closer to a FR where the back wave is absorbed rather than adding stiffness.

I am looking for clarity from anyone who has been down this road before. Am I even close to seeing this correctly?
Old 21st October 2011, 07:30 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplittingAtom View Post
I saw the SDX7 on the CSS site for $100
Well worth grabbing 2 or 4 while you can, especially if small & simple fit your needs. The ones Bob has need the simple treatment at a minimum, but that is a dead easy mod. I have a stash, but don't know how many left-overs after i fill all the holes i need to fill... and am not moving any stock ones out until i've pulled out 3 matched quads for my own use (and a set of 4 for Bud)

no apologies please, the only sub-intelligent question asked is the one not-asked.

Quote:
I am trying to figure out if an EL70eN or an A7.3eN would compliment 1 or 2 SDx7's per side.
How big is your room? What kind of amps? A7.3eN is a better driver on an absolute scale, but EL70eN is likely better value for the money (and more forgiving of ancillaries). Better bass from the EL70 won't play a role in a FAST.

Quote:
From what I read on the forum so far about FAST systems, it seems that the FR can either go in a separate KenT or a small mid TL eperiodic as in Tysen variants.
Or in a sealed box or an OB or ...

Quote:
I am also scratching my head over the SDX7 enclosure. It seems to really like a small sealed but I also read that Digeridoo implemented it in a small aperiodic.
I like using them in 14-21 litre sealed (net when you consider the virtual volume increase of the damping material) althou, in theory, you could stuff one into a box as small as 3.5 litre.

The push-push box that Bud has, and that has been getting glowing reviews from all who hear them (including some luminaries), started out as a (too small) TL, but ended up aperiodic (about 14 litre/driver), as the XBL drivers give no warning before running out of room to run and make a "disturbing" sound when they hit the back-plate. They do need some increasing air pressure inside the box to give the driver some compliance stiffness as it approaches the limit. I like sealed as one can add a bit of boost at about 25 hz and get them to go quite low.

It will be interesting to play with the SDX8 when they get made (imagine SDX7 crossed with Trio8)

dave
Old 21st October 2011, 07:40 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arny1 View Post
Looking at your drawings in post 3 it's obvious that I would need 4. How do I subscribe to your plan thingys,
Derek,

I do like to use a pair of woofers in any woofer cabinet, as i can then take advantage of push-push loading to greatly minimize the reactive load on the box (making the job the box has too do easier). I'll often use a smaller woofer or a less expensive one to allow this.

But sometimes there is only room for (volume or budget) only one.

A killer woofer on a budget is the CSS EL166/Mark Audio No6. I will be exploring a range of woofers for the WoofTs as they are developed, we looked at a couple dozen for the one for the uFonkenSET.

Email me re the plansets, i can answer any questions and send you the boilerplate of what your subscription offers.

dave

Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3Hide this!Advertise here!