• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mar-Ken 12 Octagon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some of you may have been following my build thread of these in the Full Range forum, but I thought that I should also show the results here as the drivers are the Mark Audio Alpair 12.

I would like to open by thanking Mark for all of his work on these drivers and for his excellent participation and cooperation with the DIT speaker building community!

I am working on building a recreation of the Clairtone Project G Welcome to Clairtone . As a function of that I need speakers for it. The speakers need to fit within an 18"/50cm diameter globe. I worked with Dave from Planet 10 and he offered to allow me to build from his Mar-Ken 12 plans a s a beta builder. As part of that, he drew up these octagonal variations for better fit into the globe.

I am declaring these cabinets finished. I worked through the finishing process, refining the surfaces with each stage. In the end, I decided that I preferred the look of the paint rubbed out with 0000 steel wool, which gives a nice satin look. The high gloss was too glossy, and showed up every single imperfection!

The end result keeps reminding me of the Death Star from Star Wars. It is a very singular look.

BTW, that flange about the middle is for mounting these cabinets into the globes.

I moved my Alpair drivers over to these last night and got them fired up. While the sound very good, there is a definite difference from the Pensil series Studio Reference Monitors which now sit forlorn and vacant.

First impressions are in line with what Dave had already indicated, that these new cabs don't have the bass extension of the Pensils, favouring bass precision over extension. The bass is there, just different. They also have a different sense of "air", or space, about them. I'm going to have to live with them for awhile to get a better read ad I have been living with the Studio Reference Monitors for quite awhile now and they have become my "normal".

Attachments

• 403.JPG
    403.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 404.JPG
    404.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 405.JPG
    405.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 406.JPG
    406.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.