• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any hope for a translation?

I'll ask. The on-line translators aren't perfect. Norio is busy at this time so I'll see if others in Japan have time to make a translation.

Linfof is putting this system on demonstration for anyone wishing to visit his studio, so feedback will do the rounds in the Japan forums.

I've felt sufficiently confident from the positive reception they received at the Tube show to go ahead and make the cones. Now its about sorting out the back end of the power-train. So far, the "thumbs up" is going to the Japan rectangle wired coil used on the current Alp10 Gen. 2, and a hybrid spider from Matsubara san.

Cheers
Mark.

Hi Guys,
Niwa San (Linfof) in Japan has a the "Genesis" pair of Alp10-MAOP drivers that used the Taiwanese cones. This particular pair of drivers were on demonstration at the Tokyo Tube late last year. Since then, they've been used for evaluation with various DIY peer leader groups in Japan.

The latest evaluation project is from Linfof, see this pic and link (use Google or similar to translate the page):

ALPAIR10 MAOP??? - Linfof?? - Yahoo!???

Thanks
Mark.

Those are beautiful :) The detailing on the boxes is a little japanese and very lovely. I love the background being the same as the boxes!

It's terrifyingly good =)

I have quickly translated that blog entry for you.
Suffice it to say, I want a pair!

My disclaimer is that my friends have often said that I suck at translation.
Artistic liberties aside this the essential gist:

----------------

The Alpair10 MAOP White Ash enclosures are finished.
The boxes are a little on the small side but the sound is good...
I'll let the people who've actually heard them assess the quality of sound so please be patient.
These are still a pre-sale prototype and can only be heard here.

(picture)

I've now heard back from a customer with their assesment so I'll copy it here.

With one listen you can clearly see this as a completely new sound can't you!
The sound comes so cleanly and the not a hint of coloration from the enclosure.
The sound was so expansive, wonderfully filling the room (long sentence edit: he felt they imaged exceptionally and disappeared in the room) that you wouldn't think it was a single (!) fullrange driver.
I was amazed at how far fullrange (drivers) have come.
It seemed as though the troublesome and time consuming nature of making these drivers means they will be a limited time offering but, surely there are a lot of people that would like to see this become a standard (catalog) model.

----------------

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Mark,
what would you say is the major diffference in presentation between the MAOP and current 10.2 drivers? I know you spoke of more design. I assume this means it hasnt been finalized.

You are so cracked out on MA drivers.

That said I am selling all the ones I am not using and STILL eyeballing the new 70.3s at madisound...

stupid-dope2.jpg

Here's a new theme for your website, Mark!

Last edited:
MAOP batch 1 cones and caps

Hi Guys,
We've completed the first batch of MAOP cones, including the edge to cone sub-assembly. The boffins in Taiwan managed to fiddle around with their formulas to come up with a colour I've named "graphite" (any other suggestions?).

We have 25 pairs of soft white cones and 24 pairs of graphite cones, complete with matching caps. This is batch No.1 (see pics).

So far so good. All cone/edge sub assemblies have a static mass variance of +/- 0.07g, excellent for a coated cone.

Wil keep you posted on the next steps.

Cheers
Mark.

Attachments

• a10-maop-wht-b1.jpg
    a10-maop-wht-b1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 373
  • a10-maop-graf-b1.jpg
    a10-maop-graf-b1.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Hi Guys,
We've completed the first batch of MAOP cones, including the edge to cone sub-assembly. The boffins in Taiwan managed to fiddle around with their formulas to come up with a colour I've named "graphite" (any other suggestions?).

We have 25 pairs of soft white cones and 24 pars of graphite cones, complete with matching caps. This is batch No.1 (see pics).

So far so good. All cone/edge sub assemblies have a static mass variance of +/- 0.07g, excellent for a coated cone.

Wil keep you posted on the next steps.

Cheers
Mark.

graphite is perfect

They look very good! How many cones didn't survive assembly? Only 2 graphite ones?
Rik

2 cones so far are NG's (no good) through this sub-assembly process. We will likely encounter more as we move each driver through the assembly process. All will depend on the skill of Taniguchi san, Kitagawa san, Evan Yu and Myself as they will each be built individually.

Thx
Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.