• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great description, Dave.
Can't resist from touching them to feel if its rough or something despite my consciousness tells me not to do so.

So did you end up touching the cones? Will you tell us? :)

And not to cause any confusion, I have to declare that I'm not planning to get this driver anytime sooner.

On the same note, I am considering the A12 MAOP if Mark does release that, but will be a very tough choice considering he's doing a new metal and paper A12 too.

So did you end up touching the cones? Will you tell us? :)

On the same note, I am considering the A12 MAOP if Mark does release that, but will be a very tough choice considering he's doing a new metal and paper A12 too.
Hi zman,

1. I didn't attend Mark's private auditioning session so nope, I didn't touch the MAOP cone. I got the CHR70 Gen 3 instead and I lightly touched it once. The cone's really thin and the profile's flat so I fear I might leave a dent or something. (Hope Mark's not around or he's going to lecture me on the possible adverse outcomes of poking the cones! :D )

2. I'm more interested in a paper version. Maybe I should really try CHP70 first. MAOP on A7 should be interesting and more Hongkonger-friendly (read people who live in teeny tiny apartments).

As long as space and capital (to some of you, the other half too?) aren't problem, there's never too many choices.
If Mark can really market these MAOP drivers at around $400 a pair, you can get two pairs and it's still more affordable than getting a pair of Lowther Alnico, right? :D

Even if I could justify/extort the cost of a pair of any Lowther or such class driver ("gee honey let's not take a Caribbean cruise this year"), that'd be easier than finding an enclosure design to take full advantage of their potential and pass the long term WAF issue.

Hi Guys,
The first batch of MAOP Alpair 10 cones and caps are finished and have arrived from Taiwan. We have 50 white and 50 graphite colour cones and caps. We'll start weighting them and adding from suspensions in the next 2 weeks.

Its going to take time as each cone costs a packet of money, so any mistakes during the suspension attachment will be costly. Likely Evan or myself will operate the suspension press and gluing machines this time around.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Niwa San (Linfof) in Japan has a the "Genesis" pair of Alp10-MAOP drivers that used the Taiwanese cones. This particular pair of drivers were on demonstration at the Tokyo Tube late last year. Since then, they've been used for evaluation with various DIY peer leader groups in Japan.

The latest evaluation project is from Linfof, see this pic and link (use Google or similar to translate the page):

ALPAIR10 MAOP??? - Linfof?? - Yahoo!???

Thanks
Mark.

Attachments

• img_linfof-maop.jpg
    img_linfof-maop.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.