• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mark,
City never sleeps, and to be exact, teens never sleep.

I have done some Googling on the MAOP and it seems the process is very similar to anodizing, except it needs far higher voltage, uses a different electrolyte (diluted alkaline in MAO, sulfuric acid in conventional anodizing) and the microstructure can be tailored to suit the application.

If the oxide coating is semi porous, it should be able to be dyed just like anodized aluminum, but I suspect that is not the best idea around as it might change the damping properties of the coating. Imagine packing up holes in a sponge, the sponge will be stiffer. Also, the MAO process seems to be REALLY EXPENSIVE, so I don't see much benefits of risking.

Masking prior to MAO is possible though, but definitely not with markers! Maybe acrylic based paint?

Yes, re micro-structure. We're using 2 different electrolytic materials. And yes, not filling the porous outer layer is desirable, although like all things, some guys might want to experiment. The downside is the higher cost of the MAOP so not sure how many guys would want to risk. Dave at Planet 10 would have the skill to do it, possibly adding part of his Enabling (dots).
Cheers
Mark.

Hi Mark,
Very nice to see you keep working and improving on these wonderful drivers. My pair of Alpair 10 is still serving nicely at home. Well done.
ciao.

Hi Coleman,
Good to hear from you. Hope life is treating you well. I think Tony's organising another listening event. Hope you can make it. See if you can bring more audio guys with you. The more feedback, the better. Now is the time when "tweaking" can be done if guys need me to do more on this variant.

Cheers
Mark.

Hi Coleman,
Good to hear from you. Hope life is treating you well. I think Tony's organising another listening event. Hope you can make it. See if you can bring more audio guys with you. The more feedback, the better. Now is the time when "tweaking" can be done if guys need me to do more on this variant.

Cheers
Mark.

This is the part that amazes me most about what Mark is doing - when is the last time any of us remember an audio designer / manufacturer inviting this type of discourse / product refinement?

Sure we've fantasized about it, but to actually have it happen is pretty damned special.

Off topic, but what about MAOP on the A7.3? I have some EnAbled versions coming from Dave, who seems to believe these are the creme of the MA crop. I will be able to directly compare the A7.3 with 10.2, with the exception of the A7 being enabled. Is it reasonable to thnk EnAbling process Dave is doing yields similar results?

Steady on guys -Mark hasn't even finished this one yet. ;) Give him chance. :D

Assuming the A10MAOP gets the green light (which looks likely) to be produced as a limited / special edition unit, I suspect we'll see similar limited edition MAOP versions of the next generation Alpair 12, and possibly of the Alpair7.3. I doubt it would be worth it for the Alpair6, since it's probably too small to be significantly affected.

That is yet to be seen, but it would make an A6 at least as expensive at retail as the Audience A3 and probably a number of more times as expensive to build. ie may not be practical market wize.

dave
I am not sure though. The cost of MAO goes up exponentially with size of cone, so maybe it's not as expensive. I just guess so, no real prove.

Audience A3 retails for $200 in Partsexpress now, yet the standard Alpair 6M is still $56 on Madisound, so I suspect the MAO version won't be more expensive than $200.

And again, I really think Mark should roll out square frame drivers again for the line array fans.

Last edited:
Hello Mark,

Just a few questions....

Any news or updates on the Alpair 10 MAOP? Will a few pre-production prototypes be distributed for evaluation to other than the ones provided to Musik007?

Are you considering a production run? If so, is there a price target and possible availability date?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Hello Mark,

Just a few questions....
Any news or updates on the Alpair 10 MAOP? Will a few pre-production prototypes be distributed for evaluation to other than the ones provided to Musik007?
Are you considering a production run? If so, is there a price target and possible availability date?
Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Hi Sliver,
One set is with Norio san while the other set is running in my studio. Ideally, I want to get around 2000 hours on these drivers, then strip them down and put the MAOP cones under the microscope. We'll compare the MAOP surface from new to the 2000 hour mark to see what they're doing.

If all goes according to plan, we'll put most of the driver build into the personal hands of Taniguchi san and Kitagawa san. The MAOP cones are so expensive to manufacture, there's no way to handle them reliably on standard production line. Expect a matched pair to retail in the US$400 to US$500 range. Sorry its this price but they will be beautifully hand-built and anechoic matched by these guys (Evan and me also making some as we like to keep our skills sharp).

Cheers
Mark.

Mark,
Bump for any updates on development. (I know it's not 2000 hours yet, but...) Any reports?
Bill

Hi Bill,
Cones holding up 100%. No stress issues under at the 1100 hours mark. If anything, I'd say they become really smooooooooooth sounding. I really like these drivers. I'm keeping these protos for myself (my Christmas treat). But I'm keen to further experiment with the coils. I have an idea for a ultra light semi-short coil for this MAOP.

Cheers
Mark.

Hi Bill,
Cones holding up 100%. No stress issues under at the 1100 hours mark. If anything, I'd say they become really smooooooooooth sounding. I really like these drivers. I'm keeping these protos for myself (my Christmas treat). But I'm keen to further experiment with the coils. I have an idea for a ultra light semi-short coil for this MAOP.

Cheers
Mark.

Mark,

That is very encouraging. Thanks for the update! By "smooooooooth sounding" do you mean more refined than a "stock" 10.2?

Bill

Mark,
That is very encouraging. Thanks for the update! By "smooooooooth sounding" do you mean more refined than a "stock" 10.2?
Bill

Hi Bill,
I'm not sure I'd say "refined" automatically. Like so many of these situations, beauty is in the ears of the beholder. One audio guy's smoooooth, is another's reduction in detail. So far I personally like what I'm hearing. For me MAOP does have a level of refinement above the standard driver, hence my interest in pushing the performance envelope a bit further. The main point about these drivers is they will be built by:

Kita Gawa San (Ex 25+ years as Fostex's Japan QC manager)
Jeff Taniguchi San (Ex 25+ years Fostex)
Evan Yu (17 years as driver design technical and later development manager for one of the larges OEM driver makers in South China)
Me - Mech. Eng. (30 years), cone experimenter and driver designers for some 10+ years.

We'll likely operate in 2 teams, Me and Evan. Jeff san and Kita san. All MAOP drivers will be individually tested and matched.

I'll disassemble one of the test pairs at the 1500 hour mark and micro-resonance test their cones, compare to the standard driver. At this stage I'm fairly certain we'll find a small reduction in the micro-resonances likely between 1-kHz to 12-kHz. To be expected as all coating processes add a degree of mass damping to a substrate (cone bass material).

Cheers
Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.