• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Excess Mar-Ken enclosures A6 & A7 bamboo ply

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1st up. All agressively priced to move fast (i need the room)

2 sets of bamboo plywood B-stock dMar-Ken7 for Alpair 7. Some minor glitches meant these were excessed. The 1st is the more commonly seen caramel ply with laminated strips on the outer layers. $350/pr + shipping

attachment.php

The 2nd (neopolitan) are stranded bamboo, where a matrix of strands form the outer layer. This is both stiffer & heavier. $350/pr + shipping

attachment.php

The original dMar-Ken7 prototypes/demos. Plywood with cherry veneer. These lived at Bud's tempoarilyuntil supplanted by a bamboo pair. $200 + shipping

attachment.php

Alpair 7.3 will not work all that well in these (1 of the reason for the aggressive prices). I can supply copper A7eN for $200/pr (regular $290) with cabinet purchase (i'll even assemble them if you'd like). I also have 1 pair stock silver Alpair7) version without super gasket) that i would supply for $100 (i will EnABL them for $80 more).

Last up is a pair of mMar-Ken6 for the original Alpair 6. Naural finish on Baltic Birch. These are a result of a communications fumble. I am essentially giving them away. $50/pr (mostly to cover the cost of packing -- someone local can call me on that, by picking up and turning over a tenner). This box is the same tuning as EL70, but some effort would need to be expended to trim the driver brace and to hog out the cutout to fit the larger driver.

attachment.php

All are damped, will come with the terminal cup & wire.

dave

Attachments

• caramel-dMK7-comp.jpg
    caramel-dMK7-comp.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1,709
  • neopolitan-dMK7-comp.jpg
    neopolitan-dMK7-comp.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,512
  • cherry-dMK7-protosComp.jpg
    cherry-dMK7-protosComp.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • mMar-Ken6.jpg
    mMar-Ken6.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,086
Last up is a pair of mMar-Ken6 for the original Alpair 6. Naural finish on Baltic Birch. These are a result of a communications fumble. I am essentially giving them away. $50/pr (mostly to cover the cost of packing -- someone local can call me on that, by picking up and turning over a tenner). This box is the same tuning as EL70, but some effort would need to be expended to trim the driver brace and to hog out the cutout to fit the larger driver.

attachment.php

Could you set those boxes aside for me please Dave.

Thanks,
jeff

Dave,
I'm interested in the dMar-Ken7 that are veneered in cherry for $200/pair...I'm also interested in the pair of silver stock A7 (g1, no?) for $100. So could I simply paypal $300 + shipping for the pairs of cabs and drivers? If so, I'll purchase immediately.
Regards,
Mario

We have something like 5 local distributors that carry various brands of bamboo ply. The Neopolitan is from Plyboo. The caramel i'm not sure.

dave

Both the caramel (actually Amber on their product chart ) and Neopolitan were Smith & Fong Plyboo. The west coast BC distributor is Reimer Hardwoods - their NA dealer locator map :

Architectural Reps & Authorized Distributors - Bamboo Flooring & Bamboo Plywood Building Products

Don't be tempted to use the cheaper bamboo products engineered for flooring with veneer or composites core backing - it won't sound the same. The 3/4" bamboo plywood can be a bit of a bear to work with on enclosures as elaborate as the "Kens", particularly with dadoes and continuous grain wrapping on the Neopolitan - but very rewarding aesthetically.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave,
I'm interested in the dMar-Ken7 that are veneered in cherry for $200/pair...I'm also interested in the pair of silver stock A7 (g1, no?) for $100. So could I simply paypal $300 + shipping for the pairs of cabs and drivers? If so, I'll purchase immediately.
Regards,
Mario

OK yours. email me and we will get the detail sorted,

Re: A7. The 1st batch came without the supergasket. The 2nd batch were the same except for super gasket (so both AlpAir7.2). The 3rd batch are the A7.3 just arrived.

dave

I priced out a sheet of Plyboo Neopolitan today in Atlanta and they wanted $399. Ouch!

that's retail niche product pricing for ya - when you buy over $250,000 a year from each of half a dozen or so competing wholesale material suppliers, the prices are lower than that - but it still takes several dozens of hours to fabricate and finish some of the more elaborate boxes

Ok, I've been listening to my mMar-Ken6p's for a day or so. The semi-enclosed cabinet style of my desktop helps augment the bass from these little guys, so they have a nice balanced output. I think these speakers are going to be "hard to beat" for my computer audio needs.

Thanks Dave and Chrisb.:up:

jeff

Attachments

• mMar-Ken6p-2.jpg
    mMar-Ken6p-2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 321
Ok, I've been listening to my mMar-Ken6p's for a day or so. The semi-enclosed cabinet style of my desktop helps augment the bass from these little guys, so they have a nice balanced output. I think these speakers are going to be "hard to beat" for my computer audio needs.

Thanks Dave and Chrisb.:up:

jeff

we had you in mind when we built that extra pair
the papers are indeed quite impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.