• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mar-Ken12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm listening to our Mar-Ken12 build as i type. I have 3 helper woofers here and haven't felt any need to hook them up. And the wife keeps asking if i think the dog's recent behaviour has anything to do with the fidelity of the HiDef TV audio thru the "new" speakers... a good case of a blind listener.

I've not heard Pensil12. I've not even heard our Pensil7 (which have been conscripted for Chris' HT system, 3.1 with a pair of woofers and A6 surround pending). His comments echo a common statement about any of the miniOnken. They trade some bass extention (and build simplicty) for finesse across the range, and a greater ability to disappear.

Bass doesn't go quite as low as the Mar-Ken10 or the Mar-Kel70 but have more slam & impact.

One more thing... the trapezodal shape turns out to be very elegant.

dave

IMHO sometimes slam and impact do feel more rewarding.

are we talking about sound for video viewing, or have you simply not been married for 38yrs? :p

I'm glad Dave first posted about our perceived differences between the Pensils and MarKens - smoother bass articulation and extension ( i.e. less slam but deeper penetration), finesse from lower mid-bass on up and imaging/depth are what I notice with a higher resolution 2 channel source / amp, but with all the multichannels, bass support DSP etc involved in video system, the differences disappear.

Last edited:
are we talking about sound for video viewing, or have you simply not been married for 38yrs? :p

Chris, I am dwarfed in that respect; have a few more years to go to reach 38 years age myself... :)

I'm glad Dave first posted about our perceived differences between the Pensils and MarKens - smoother bass articulation and extension ( i.e. less slam but deeper penetration), finesse from lower mid-bass on up and imaging/depth are what I notice with a higher resolution 2 channel source / amp, but with all the multichannels, bass support DSP etc involved in video system, the differences disappear.

Sorry if my post was confusing - or maybe I was confused :) My understanding was that Mar-Kel70 and Mar-Ken10 bass was lower (as in Hz) but Mar-Ken12 bass was tighter and had more slam (but maybe not as low) - I was referring to that aspect Mar-Ken to Mar-Ken.

You and Dave talk a lot about finesse and articulation, and I have just started to realize the importance of both for quality listening. Better finesse and articulation any day for most music vs slam and loudness.

-Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
but Mar-Ken12 bass was tighter

Tighter maybe a bit over Mar-Kel but similar to Mar-Ken 7 & 10.

Best of all worlds probably Mar-Ken7 with 2 (or more) good extended active 7-10" midbass drivers. An experiment in the queue that had to be postponed due to a A7 shortage. And even a 20-sided tapered Mar-Ken7 in the works. Glad it is not me buidling it.

dave

once our collective heads are wrapped around how to simplify the build of the tapered boxes, I think you'd be seeing a lot more of them - but maybe not in bamboo just yet

photos don't do justice to Bernie's recycle D-Fir flooring boxes for the 12s (even ScottyD would have to approve)

As I've noted elsewhere, the MA 10.2's done up with Dave's "full monty" treatment, and stuffed into the Mar-Ken boxes, are a stunningly good combination. I've retired my sub, but YMMV, of course.
This after first playing Victor Wooten at only moderate volume, and actually feeling the bass at my 8' listening distance!
best, don

Dave, it looks to me like your plans have the driver/brace a little off center, however looking at the ones you built in your thread it seems like those are centered? Which is correct, and if I were to use one as a center channel would I offset it the same as the others or center it even if the others are offset?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
however looking at the ones you built in your thread it seems like those are centered?

??? You'll need to point me at the picture. Note that centre is relative to the panels it attaches to, not the driver. If a driver is off centre, the brace may bisect the driver. (ie if you are talking about Cedric's mMarS flat-pak build)

Doing a build with a centred brace would break one of our basic box building rules. (subpanels should not be equal to each other, and a brace should divide a panel such that the subpanels have an aspect ratio greater than the panel being braced). The millis actually break the 2nd part of that rule, but have a 2nd perpendicular brace to amerilate that.

dave

I'm looking forward very much to getting my Mar-Ken12's built! But they will be octagonal and hidden inside an 18" diameter globe. Oh, well...Drew them up full scale a couple of days ago and started making the mold for the globes.

Glad to know that they sound good. As long as they sound as good as my present Studio Reference Monitors I'll be happy.

Progress so far on my octagonal Mar-Ken 12s.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 289
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.