• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mar-Ken12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i like them :D

From the level of neatness (or lack thereof) you could not accuse my work area of that.

dave

I'm sure that you are plenty busy, Dave! Whether your shop be tidy or not.

Mine is actually fairly organized, but I have a shortage storage and bench space to deal with all of the little stuff that needs to be at hand all of the time.

Mostly I refer to the trophy shops where they are all tricked out, perfectly clean and tidy, but no real work gets done in them. Kind of like trophy kitchens, etc...

A quick question about this cabinet. For the damping/lining on the back panel. Does it go all of the way to the wall? or does it stop short in order to not block the vent?

I'm sure that you are plenty busy, Dave! Whether your shop be tidy or not.

Mine is actually fairly organized, but I have a shortage storage and bench space to deal with all of the little stuff that needs to be at hand all of the time.

Mostly I refer to the trophy shops where they are all tricked out, perfectly clean and tidy, but no real work gets done in them. Kind of like trophy kitchens, etc...

A quick question about this cabinet. For the damping/lining on the back panel. Does it go all of the way to the wall? or does it stop short in order to not block the vent?

don't occlude the vents

Lining and holey brace are in!

One small change to the plans that I did do was to add a small flange that sits just inside of the front edge of the sides. This provides more attachment surface for the front baffle, as half of the front baffle is removed here by the bevel I thought that some added stiffness couldn't hurt. It is significantly beveled to the back, so really, this flange just fills the corner between the front baffle and the sides.

I prepared the front baffles to receive the drivers and got the glued on. I'll show some photos of that stage once I get some new photos. But I do have a shot of the circle gutting rig for my router.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 250
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 228
Got the flange on for mounting the cabinets in the globes, sanded everything nice and smooth, and got the first two coats of spray paint on. I'll be continuing to build the finish over the next few days.

I gotta say, they're looking kind of cool.

Attachments

• 1428.JPG
    1428.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 1423.JPG
    1423.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 1421.JPG
    1421.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 1427.JPG
    1427.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 287
Got the flange on for mounting the cabinets in the globes, sanded everything nice and smooth, and got the first two coats of spray paint on. I'll be continuing to build the finish over the next few days.

I gotta say, they're looking kind of cool.

forgive the question if this has already been mentioned, but what type of product(s) and prep etc were used in the painting?

Chris,

I sanded the top portion, above the flange, to 220, then gave it a coat of epoxy to seal the wood grain. I used EAST System epoxy, but any brand like WEST, MAS, RAKA, etc would work fine.

After the epoxy cured I sanded it down to 220 and shot on a couple coats of rattle can spray paint. This will then be sanded smooth and repeated till I am satsified. The bottom section, below the flange, is just getting a couple coats of spray paint that will be declared good enough.

I am declaring these cabinets finished. I worked through the finishing process, refining the surfaces with each stage. In the end, I decided that I preferred the look of the paint rubbed out with 0000 steel wool, which gives a nice satin look. The high gloss was too glossy, and showed up every single imperfection!

The end result keeps reminding me of the Death Star from Star Wars. It is a very singular look.

I moved my Alpair drivers over to these last night and got them fired up. While the sound very good, there is a definite difference from the Pensil series Studio Reference Monitors which now sit forlorn and vacant.

First impressions are in line with what Dave had already indicated, that these new cabs don't have the bass extension of the Pensils, favouring bass precision over extension. The bass is there, just different. They also have a different sense of "air", or space, about them. I'm going to have to live with them for awhile to get a better read. I've been listening to the Pensils for quite awhile now and they have become my "normal".

Attachments

• 403.JPG
    403.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,678
  • 404.JPG
    404.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 405.JPG
    405.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 406.JPG
    406.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 167
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.