• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery

Fonken 125wk Build

A bit of a long story here, I went out on my own building 125wk boxes, actually built 7 boxes, not counting the pair in the pic. I tried different sizes and tuning frequencies.

The 1st pair was too small, sounded thin, jumped up a couple of liters and picked up some bass, but still not right.

I threw in the towel and contacted david@planet10-hifi.com and he had designed a Fonken for this driver (pic).

In a word Wow! Much better than anything that I came up with, a lot better; crystal clear sound, warm and throaty bass. The P10 plans were excellent, easy to follow; I did enlarge the plans full scale on a copier (recommend).

For comparison, I do have two pairs of 120FXs in different boxes; I cannot listen to all the songs on a CD, some will sound off-wall-fantastic, but others are a little sour. I do think a tube amp would help (using a sansui 7070).

This last pair is unbelievable: not an expensive build, easy to follow plans, sound fantastic - without being selective and using a transistor amp [Rotel, RB 980BX].

Attachments

• 1 2012.jpg
    1 2012.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:
A pair of uFonken that showed up at DIY 2011 in Gothenburg, Sweden.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave
Hey Dave, any idea who these belonged to? More to the point, I have a pair of Fostex FE108E Sigmas that need a home in a small box. I was thinking Fonken from the get-go and stumbled on one of your posts and plans for a MilliFonken, plan dated from '07, variation ov7. Did you get a chance to measure this at all? Just curious more than practically concerned, I plan to use these in my travel trailer where space is small and I don't require critical listening.
TIA and best wishes,
Lance

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey Dave, any idea who these belonged to? More to the point, I have a pair of Fostex FE108E Sigmas that need a home in a small box. I was thinking Fonken from the get-go and stumbled on one of your posts and plans for a MilliFonken, plan dated from '07, variation ov7. Did you get a chance to measure this at all? Just curious more than practically concerned, I plan to use these in my travel trailer where space is small and I don't require critical listening.
TIA and best wishes,
Lance

A fellow from Luxenbourg i believe

There is a mFonken108. We've not built it. It will have somewhat limited bass.

dave

A fellow from Luxenbourg i believe

There is a mFonken108. We've not built it. It will have somewhat limited bass.

dave
Thanks for the reply. The mFonken 4.5 l cabinet plan is identical to the millifonken plan I referenced previously. I guess I'll build them and see how it sounds, I'm not looking for a lot of bass just a clear breath of air when I get tired of the other set of speakers in the RV. Also, it will give me a new candidate for my newly acquired measurement gear. I'll post up some pictures when they are mounted in the RV, the Cowboy Hilton.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My Personal µFonken SET

"cooper/dusty orange" FF85wKeN installed. Beautiful, and pretty good sounding.

uFonkenSET-yew-comp.jpg

Bespoke, unique solid wood art builds similar to these and Bernie's Locust pair are going to be offered to those willing to pay a premium for a functional art-piece.

Bernie is working on the woofTs to match this pair, using 2 4" Peerless in a Woden designed ML-TL. They will be the same footprint and act as 32" tall stands. Will relieve the FF85 from the heavy lifting and should extend LF down to where a subwoofer(s) can be added for a truly full-range system

Chris' build, with the Mar-Kel70wT on top (intension is, as long as the woofer passes) to finish to complement the MK70wt.

Need to finish my monolithic version! Cabs are done sans bracing, now taking ages to mount the drivers and connect the hook up wire...

One other set of these has been built to support Mar-Ken12T

Haven't you repurposed your Mar-Ken12T cabs? Or you still have a set?