• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Danny,

Basic plans will/are part of the Monster miniOnken series and are $10.

As Chris built these there are 3 layers of 18mm top and bottom with the soldepurpose of increasing the height too make the speaker look less squat.

The design of these was based on the actual WT2 measured T/S parameters of the resurrounded Tannoy 12" Gold, Optimum tuning for other 12" units is likely a bit different (can be adjusted with a good set of parameters). The resistive vents of the miniOnken make them moretolerent of changing T/S.

dave

* answering a question from another thread

Dave,
thanks for the info, appreciate you sharing some.
Perhaps if you could mention some other 12" coaxial drivers or woofers from available PA drivers that would work well in "onken" style cabinets, I am sure more people would like to purchase the plans.

I personally like the idea of a 12" coaxial in such cabinet, would suite my fathers empty room :) I know that there is an onken cab thread, but you know, you have the plans already, and if you would know of substitute drivers that would perform well....it would be easier :)

Danny

I have a pair of coaxial drivers in need of a decent cabinet :)
KEF Uni-Q's, 4" with 1/2" tweeter, I have a partial set of T/S figs - waiting for the engineering dept to get back to me with a full set (the Eng dept is still in recovery from flooding earlier this year).
The egg enclosure is a 'honkey mess' at the bottom of its freq range (60 - 50htz), but above that area the drivers are angelic.
Dave, if I send you the figures I have now, would it be possible for you to have a look and see if theres a design that might fit?

Attachments

• 20140104_172912a.jpg
    20140104_172912a.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 20140104_172927a.jpg
    20140104_172927a.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 574
I have a pair of coaxial drivers in need of a decent cabinet :)
KEF Uni-Q's, 4" with 1/2" tweeter, I have a partial set of T/S figs - waiting for the engineering dept to get back to me with a full set (the Eng dept is still in recovery from flooding earlier this year).
The egg enclosure is a 'honkey mess' at the bottom of its freq range (60 - 50htz), but above that area the drivers are angelic.
Dave, if I send you the figures I have now, would it be possible for you to have a look and see if theres a design that might fit?

Where do you guys get the drivers from? been after a UNI-Q either 4 or 5 inch Alu cone for a while...fleabay nothing....

Danny

Did doggy bite sippy's finger?

Last dog that bit me Cal got the favour returned - my nutcase Jack Russel (totally genuine bread and raised as a pasty hound in middle Cornwall, none of this snooty KK register bs every ones so hung up on) got a tad over excited while playing and started taking chunks out me..... so I bit a bit of his right ear off;)
And he kept going, so I kicked the sh1t outa him - whole ordeal lasted about 15mins, my friend who witnessed it all still looks scared 20+ years later when mentioned.

On topic........
Where do you guys get the drivers from? been after a UNI-Q either 4 or 5 inch Alu cone for a while...fleabay nothing....

Danny

Tell true!
You saw them and thought..... MUST HAVE :D:D

Search 'that auction site' for KEF EGG or......
Explore KEF - KHT2005 - KEF International

or newer still:

Explore KEF - KHT3005 - KEF International

or even:

Explore KEF - KIT100, KIT200 - KEF International

A Single in good condition should set you back £35, you can still get them new, roughly £75 each (am after a second pair meself for another build)
In the meantime I wait....... Arrrrh, THE WAIT!!!

Interesting Photos of the Tan-onkens.
Odd looking rascals indeed. Decent woodwork finishing though.
Seem smallish too, certainly below(?) the 75 litre factory suggestions.
The not being high enough for sitting ears seems as a bit odd.
Healthy Tannoys work well in most Anything that will decently hold them.
Part/most of the allure of the things is that it's Damned Difficult to bungle their sounds
I've heard half barrels used as enclosures, which sounded Very good indeed.
As did one man's 4 x 8 sheets of Ply, diy "dipoles".
Gotta love Humans' ingenuity :)

Rubber surround Golds have a significant / differing TS spec than the folded paper edged variety. Odd that.
Clearly New Harmon International "owners" in '73 changed their design direction as well as fitting rotting Foam surrounds

Bass should be tight and clean with Highs to die for.
Presence is amazing.
IF not, there's something clearly amiss.

Typically, crossovers need redoing, Wayy before new boxes are considered.
40 year old electro caps really do get in the way.
Akin to driving on Flat tires.
Tannoys respond well to Electronics; amps And source. Garbage in = Garbage out.
A 20+ amp current capable amp really does make for sparkling Dynamics.
Far more so than with a 300b or 45 se (meshplate included) amp.

There is also a purpose designed Active crossover (diy only though) for Golds/hpd's
Pretty well turning one into a Full ranger :)
Presumably skilled/careful DSP fiddling could do similar ?

Just My 2 cents worth :eek:

PS: as if anyone even cares: KEF UniQ are IMO worthless.