Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 19th April 2011, 08:24 PM   #31
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build Log
Also worth mentioning that the use of volume fill in the Pensils, reduces the effectiveness of the 3rd/standing wave function, vrs something like a Fonken with only wall lining.

So with the shim, you are most of the way there.

My buddy always told me, if you aren't falling down you aren't getting better.

dave
Old 19th April 2011, 08:28 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

... this material ... $275 USD per sheet
What are you using? That is up into stranded bamboo ply territory.

dave
Old 19th April 2011, 08:33 PM   #33
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What are you using?
First post:
Quote:
I programmed the parts on my CNC router and cut them out of 13-ply void free plywood
Old 19th April 2011, 08:37 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Maybe I should just stick to open baffle speakers next time Hahahaha.
You will find that these will have intrinsic character that can never be achieved with an OB.

dave
Old 19th April 2011, 08:42 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
First post
Quote:
I programmed the parts on my CNC router and cut them out of 13-ply void-free plywood
That doesn't explain it. Here we pay <$50 / sheet (5'x5' sheets). The more upmarket architectural grades with veneers can reach up $150 (4x8 sheets).

So either Steve has something special, or got hit with a lot of shipping.

dave
Old 19th April 2011, 09:20 PM   #36
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You will find that these will have intrinsic character that can never be achieved with an OB.

dave
Funny you say that. OB guys will say the same thing about "box speakers" such as this.

As for the plywood I'm using, It's special domestic plywood made specifically for a large project the company I work for was doing a couple years ago. Yes, I order custom made plywood straight from the manufacturer. Babmboo core doesn't go for nearly that much per 4x8 sheet for me. My cost per sheet of stranded bamboo is $40-60 depending on source and it's always superb quality. The price you stated for architectural plywood with veneer is average for low-mid grade stuff. The veneered plywood we deal with ranges from $150 upwards to $8-900 for AA exotics.

Specifically, i'm using 13-ply birch core void-free AA yellow pine. The plywood has zero voids and zero overlaps in the core. It's domestically made as to guarntee quality. I've also applied a sheet of paper backer to one side (inside of cabinet) in an effort to kill reflections a little. Not sure if the paper backer will make a difference or not but I thought that it surely couldn't hurt.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th April 2011, 09:38 PM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Funny you say that. OB guys will say the same thing about "box speakers" such as this.
Yes, i hear that in OBs too... much prefer to live with the shortcomings of a well made box.

dave
Old 19th April 2011, 09:49 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Also worth mentioning that the use of volume fill in the Pensils, reduces the effectiveness of the 3rd/standing wave function, vrs something like a Fonken with only wall lining.

dave
So let me ask you. How do you counter this? How do you have the both of best worlds? In which scenario would you not HAVE to use any form of lining or fill at all besides for the obvious answer of an OB design? Are you suggesting that one should pack the bottom portion of the cabinet with stuffing and leave the top free instead of evenly distributing the stuffing throughout? Do explain.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:26 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When i say "reduces the effectiveness of the 3rd/standing wave function" i mean it is reduced because there is less problem to deal with. Maybe i should have said "reduces the need"

dave
Old 20th April 2011, 12:07 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Understood. Thanks

Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build LogHide this!Advertise here!